Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Sportsman 500 Touring and just had 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 Kenda Bear Claw HTRs on STI HD3 rims installed at the dealer. I'm picking up my Sportsman tomorrow. After researching this forum extensively (quite a while ago), I was certain that I wouldn't need spacers with this combo. When the dealer phoned me to tell me it was ready for pick-up, he said that they had to install 1/4" spacers so that my hub caps wouldn't fall off. This is my first 4-wheeler which I purchased a few months ago and the first time using this dealer. Does what he's saying make sense?

I thought I remembered reading that I should avoid spacers if at all possible. Any opinions?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
That makes no sense to me at all. I would have them explain exactly how a spacer will keep your hubcap from falling off. My caps on my HD2 wheels have a snap ring type attachment and if yours are the same, I wonder if it hits your hub. Aren't your hubs tapered? Maybe the spacer would allow the cap to snap in the wheel without hitting the tapered hub. Let us know what you find out since I've never heard of needing spacers for hupcaps.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Bob. I don't understand it either. I know they don't have anybody working in the shop tomorrow but before I agree to pay the invoice I will want them to show me exactly why I need spacers. I'm visual so I need to SEE what they are talking about because I'm just scratching my head right now.
:wtf:

·
Registered
2007 500x2 le
850 Posts
Its possible that the factory rubber center caps stick out far enought to hit the center cap in the rime u have on the front ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out I needed 1/4" spacers front and back. The hub caps wouldn't stay on otherwise. I think it's due to the profile of the rims. He showed me the spacers they put on and I could see them on the quad so I chose to trust them. The quad looks so mean now that I just wanted to get out of there and go try it out. Love the new combo.

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts
After looking at my wife's 500, I think it is those tabs on the hub that center the wheel on the hub that would cause the problem. The cap would hit those and not seat in the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts