Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fine with my fuel-injected 2010 RZR for an upcoming trip to the Paiute ATV trail in August, but my friend might come along with his 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650, which is carbureted.

Do I really need to worry about re-jetting the carbs, or will he be OK with the stock jets? I know there will be a power loss, but if we're not trying to win any races, will it still get us to the top of the mountain, and will he still be able to climb hills in low gear?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I'm fine with my fuel-injected 2010 RZR for an upcoming trip to the Paiute ATV trail in August, but my friend might come along with his 2005 Kawasaki Brute Force 650, which is carbureted.

Do I really need to worry about re-jetting the carbs, or will he be OK with the stock jets? I know there will be a power loss, but if we're not trying to win any races, will it still get us to the top of the mountain, and will he still be able to climb hills in low gear?

Thanks...
He will be down on power but should be able to make it just fine. I have a friend who has an RV park in Utah and has taken his arctic cat 500 on those trails many times and always makes it just fine...just loses power and that's all

·
Registered
548 Posts
What I have done is drill four 1/2 inch holes on the top of the air box and have rubber plugs in them. As I get higher in elevation I take two plugs out to around 6000ft then around 8000ft the other two. Gets more air into the carb. Just make sure you don't go into deep water!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
455 Posts
What I have done is drill four 1/2 inch holes on the top of the air box and have rubber plugs in them. As I get higher in elevation I take two plugs out to around 6000ft then around 8000ft the other two. Gets more air into the carb. Just make sure you don't go into deep water!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yup, or you can take the top of the air box off too

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I Like the hole/rubber plug idea.....

·
Registered
455 Posts
I Like the hole/rubber plug idea.....
Yeah I like the multiple hole idea too, I did one big 1 1/2" hole and I leave it open normally, I leave the rubber plug in the air box just in case. But it's not often I get water crossings deeper than floor board depth around here.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
The '07 hawkeyes already have the holes and plugs from the factory... so that's a good way to go if you want.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, it's no longer an issue. Bought an ACE, and selling the BF650 this weekend. No more carbureted ATVs for us.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably depends on where in Utah. Elevation?
Being small bore and 2-stroke, I'd say it will probably be pretty important to make sure they're jetted right for the elevation you'll be riding.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Raptor 125 and 250 are four strokes.

I ride on the Paiute Trail all the time, being as I live just 50 miles down the interstate from its closest point. I rode there yesterday with my new Sportsman 1000. High altitude will effect power more with improper jetting than it will with proper jetting. Even with proper jetting you will lose about 40% of the power your machine makes when you are at the highest point on the Paiute Trail, compared to sea level. I remember about 12 years ago I had bought a Sportsman 500 HO, and my son who was 9 years old at the time, was riding a Honda TRX 90. His ATV had been jetted for altitude, but since mine was brand new, and it was on its first ride, we left it with the stock jetting in it. There was a long uphill straightaway at about 11,000 feet elevation where my stock jetted Sportsman 500 could not catch up to my son's properly jetted TRX 90. That Sportsman was a blubbering pig at high elevation.

Dependes on how far you are coming from. If this trip is a big deal for you, rejet your ATV and enjoy the trip, instead of saving a few hours work at home, and putting up with a bad running machine when you get here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts