Polaris ATV Forum banner

Do you have larger than stock tires? with or without a clutch kit?

• Larger than stock tires, without a clutch kit

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • Larger than stock tires, with a clutch kit

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Larger than stock tires, with just upgraded spring(s)

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I feel a clutch kit is worth the money

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I dont feel a clutch kit is worth the money

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have larger than stock tires? do you have a clutch kit? you can vote for what u have and if u think a kit is worth or not

I have a stock sportsman 500 with 27" mud lights and am debating if i should get a clutch kit or not.

sure i would like to regain the power i lost with adding the tires, but i dont feel like i need more power so the $200 or so is not a must so far, it would be a want.

i rode 2 up in plenty of mud with 0 power problems and not getting stuck. november 10th ill ride 2 up on some big hills which might answer my question, but then again i plan to buy a 2nd atv so ill still need to know for 1up

i was going to just upgrade the springs but after emailing epi, despite having them for sale on their website, and lots to choose from, he didnt recommend i buy them. hopefully that was his honesty in wanting me not to waste my time and money on just springs and not him wanting to sell a kit for more $.

anyways i wanted to see who all runs larger than stock tires without a kit vs those with bigger tires with a kit and of course opinions on if it was worth the money and time to upgrade it.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I always recommend a clutch kit. It helps you get power to the ground more efficiently with less belt slippage. You are probably ok without one for your application, but you may experience some slipping in the future if you ever find some thick mud to ride in. I have run 29.5 outlaws that are 42lbs a piece, both with and without a clutch kit. If trail riding, I was ok without a kit. The minute I wanted to get into peanut butter mud, I was smoking belts. I have not had to replace a belt since the clutch upgrade. Well worth the $200 in my experience.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always recommend a clutch kit. It helps you get power to the ground more efficiently with less belt slippage. You are probably ok without one for your application, but you may experience some slipping in the future if you ever find some thick mud to ride in. I have run 29.5 outlaws that are 42lbs a piece, both with and without a clutch kit. If trail riding, I was ok without a kit. The minute I wanted to get into peanut butter mud, I was smoking belts. I have not had to replace a belt since the clutch upgrade. Well worth the $200 in my experience.
so far its only slipped once that ive felt, i just figured it got wet but wasnt sure

did u check ur rpms before and after a kit?

it takes me like 2k rpms to even move, when im riding im usually 3800-4400 rpms. dont know if thats a big deal or a problem or perfectly fine

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
2k is high for stock. Before the kit, engagement on my 800 was at like 1350rpms. With just springs and weights it was like 1550. With one shim it was around 1750 and with two shims I am at about 1900.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Damn, 2k to get moving stock!? Your belt has to be glazed!

Im running just the O/Bl spring from Dalton Ind. and i went from 1350 to 1500 for engagement and it has been more than worth it! Even with my 26" GBC Dirt Commanders and 1" wheel spacers. Weight of new tires is 104lbs with 12lbs of wheel spacers.. Stock tires only weighed 60.4 lbs so there is a huge jump in rotational mass that the hearing of the clutch needs to be changed.

Anytime you go either larger than stock or even change out the stocks for same size and heavier tread, consider talking to Dalton or EPI for best route of attack!

Matt

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sounds like clutch problems. Take the cover over & inspect them. Maybe clutch buttons. Worn buttons would cause it take more rpms to move the clutch & engage due to binding worn buttons. Easy to check. Might as well put in a kit while your in there. I have a aaen kit & pipe, I have stock size 589's & love it!!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like clutch problems. Take the cover over & inspect them. Maybe clutch buttons. Worn buttons would cause it take more rpms to move the clutch & engage due to binding worn buttons. Easy to check. Might as well put in a kit while your in there. I have a aaen kit & pipe, I have stock size 589's & love it!!!!!
the stock clutch has been removed and fully inspected, belt looks good. im not sure what buttons your referring to, but everything looked normal, not worn, granted maybe i missed something.

when i got the bike it had 27" tires on it, so i cant say if with stock 25" non aggressive tires it did the same or if it was normal.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You should replace your belt. It is probably worn and your not seeing it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Yea judging from the vid and engagement, you belt is toast and time for a new one...do the clutch kit, may never need a belt again!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my neighbor said the belt was fine but im going to look again and judge for myself.

the atv has 1750 miles, its probably the original belt and they ran it with 27" aggressive tires.

so i could probably get another 1500 miles from a new belt but looks like the clutch kit would save it for longer if it is worn

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Wait, do me a favor, take a couple pics of the belt and measure the back side. I need close up pics. If the belt is worn, you will need a new one and the clutch kit will keep it from wearing out and give you power back that was lost with the larger tires.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait, do me a favor, take a couple pics of the belt and measure the back side. I need close up pics. If the belt is worn, you will need a new one and the clutch kit will keep it from wearing out and give you power back that was lost with the larger tires.
will do, tomorrow that is

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Thanks man, i just wanna get you in the right direction!

Matt

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have 28" Zillas with a clutchkit opposit you guys

I have a kit that makes crawling/slow speed possibble/easier :)

If I wanted a mudkiller I would go with a 1000cc monster :werd:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Lift and not larger tires like the 27 or 28"?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts