Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. We've been looking around at maybe buying a Phoenix for my wife. You guys like yours? Suggestions? She used to LOVE her 2000 Trail boss 325. Enough power for her, and loved the giant cushy seat. How do you feel about the power and ride quality?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Last year I bought my 12 year old daughter a phoenix and she loves it but I'm giving it mixed reviews. She started when she was 7 on various Chinese junkers that had nearly non existent suspension and were so low on torque that she had to be running full tilt to make even small hills. I like the fact that she's got gobs of power on tap (for a child) , decent suspension and a sealed shaft drive. I do however hate the fact that the cvt intake snorkel terminates directly above the left front tire and tends to make water accumulate in the cvt cases. On more than one occasion when we were riding on a rainy weekend I've had to pull the drainplug and let sevral ounces of water from the cases.
For an adult, Phoenix may be lacking in the power department but all in all it seems pretty dependable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2010 Phoenix and a NOS 2007 Sawtooth (same bike) and like them. They have plenty power and ride well. the only thing that I have had to do was adjust the valves with about 50 hours on them. You had to almost strip the bike to get to the head, a 20 minute job takes about 1 1/2 hour.
Other than that they are great.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Buy her a trail boss or trail blazer. Huge advantage with the full sized quads.

·
Registered
841 Posts
yea the phoenix is really for younger riders

·
Registered
32 Posts
BIGGER is better for an adult as I agree its prolly undersized for an adult. I like the ones for our kids tho (and they love'em) the air snorkel/intake on the 2011's end right in the fender are and i agree will collect water after a while. worse is the electronics are exposed under the nose...I built a deflector/cover for them and installed it last nite...had what i believe to be a water issue last week with that exposed electronics... hopefully fixced by the cover now

·
Registered
60 Posts
I purchased my son a Phoenix in Jan 2011.A 2010 leftover..I always have said it lacked power to my dealer and seemed to get worse as time went on...The quad has barely been riden...All the snow we received was unable to ride in...I planned a ride for this past sunday and started the quad up to see smoke coming out the tailpipe and no power..Brought the quad to dealer waiting to see whats wrong..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not too impressed with our 2009 Phoenix, it has low hours on it, ( maybe 30 max) and it already has starting issues. basically a brand new bike and it want stay running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I loved mine, its a great first quad, GREAT for women

Everything seemed really reliable with mine for months, and all the sudden I am having problems with it running! :bam:

·
Registered
60 Posts
This quad needs to be warmed up good to stay running and yes the starter issues r a pain....My son likes it overall..We will be purchasing something bigger for him sometime this year

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ours is a pain the arse. Blows ignition boxes like their free :suspect:. Going to replace the regulator/rectifier too this time and see if it helps. My son does like it when it runs. Managable power, and he loves how it looks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
go for a trailblazer, they are much faster and loaded with torque. even a 200lb adult could ride a trailblazer no prob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I liked the price of the Phoenix, my daughter likes the looks, my son likes the power. The 2 problems I have or have had are:
a.) When I washed it ---water hitting the electronics causing it the engine to die if you gave it throttle. I dried what I could and after 2 days the problem finally went away.
b.) Seems like shocks have too much rebound damping for the spring rate. ATV seems to stinkbug down. Anybody have any suspension setup ideas?

Other than that it has been a good purchase for the price. If my kids smile then a purchase is GOOD!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi,
On your shock/spring concern you might turn the adjuster on the spring prelod up a notch or 2...not a "real " fix with the damping but will bring it to high ride height quicker but stiffen it up...which may be bad or good depending on preference.

ALSO, with yer starting/water issue. First off, I buillt a sheet aluminum cover shroud for the electronics up under the nose area...as they catch a lot of water spray when fording creeks and puddles. It is made of aluminum flashing and wraps around the from sub structure of the quad and sshields all the electronic parts...look at yer bikes form underneath and it will make more sense..if not PM me and I will send you pics of how i did mine...it was easy to do and fixed a lot of the problem.

The other thing to do is get some dielectric grease and squirt a dab (the size you would put on yer toothbrush is prolly enough) remove the spark plug boot offf the spark plug and squirt it up into the boot... and do this every time you take it out. After a few outings the boot will be substantially filled with the grease and not allow water to get into it. I believe this is another problem point i had.

The heat of the engine will also thin it out and cause it to "melt" out so ya gotta do it every time .

I have made it part of the ritual my boys do , air pressure check, goo the plug, and overall checking the machine out.

when you saidd "2 days later it was fixed" it made me think of water in the spark plug boot area shorting out the plug.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
39 Posts
i actually bought a 200cc phoenix, i just replaced the oil shocks with shorter gas shocks from royal distributing. works great and its adjustable so it can have a springy comfy ride or a more intense rough ride. Try a old shock from a dirt bike. I took one from a yamaha bike and had to cut it a bit but it fits. The water issue is normal, plug the exhaust and cover the solenoids, and the switches and buttons. Other that that, the atv should be fine to have a wash, but only use water, try not to use heavy cleaners or it will tarnish the seat and plastics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts