Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think there will be a 900 XP in 2015?

Aside from HP what do you all think? Is the 900 ProStar motor a better motor than the 850?

I'm thinking about getting a big bore next year for myself (550 for the wife). Is a end of year '14 850 good enough or should I go for '15 900XP if that becomes available?

·
Registered
70 Posts
would make more sense for them to do the new 1000 since can-am has a 1000 adding 50cc would be pointless

gotta keep up with the jones

·
Registered
173 Posts
would make more sense for them to do the new 1000 since can-am has a 1000 adding 50cc would be pointless

gotta keep up with the jones
I agree but in this bigger is better arms race, we, the consumers suffer from under engineered designs that haven't been properly tested. Whatever they bring out I hope they do it as good as they can and not as cheap as they can.

So many little parts in these units now like sensors, connectors, mounts, etc. all shopped out to the lowest bidder.

I wouldn't buy the the first model year of any ATV right now...things moving way too fast, IMO stick with the 850. At least they are getting a handle on the issues.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't buy the the first model year of any ATV right now...things moving way too fast, IMO stick with the 850. At least they are getting a handle on the issues.
That is probably a smart move. Definitely enough model years that most bugs should be worked out. I feel the same way about my '13 550 at this point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Another way to look at it is how much bigger do I really need? I'm a bigger guy and I ride 2 up with my wife alot and thought the 850 would be a better choice as it wouldn't work as hard to carry us and our gear around as the 550. But just to ride single with the boys I can go anywhere and do anything on a 500 with a good set of tires that I can do on my 850. Except pull 2 broken down bikes out of the hilly bush simultaneously...that required the big bore tractor like power of the 850 :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Things have always been moving fast when it comes to ATV's. it wasn't that many years ago that they didn't even exist! 1982 possibly for 4 wheels ATV's???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Things have always been moving fast when it comes to ATV's. it wasn't that many years ago that they didn't even exist! 1982 possibly for 4 wheels ATV's???
True but they were a little more willing to increase price to keep up quality. Just seems like we are the test team these days to cut costs. Pass on the Research and Development to the enthusiasts. Motorcycles, cars and even dirt bikes have factory teams with real world experience to learn from. Our utility ATV's have engineers with diplomas:)

·
Registered
173 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I'd like to see an 800 triple 2 stroke.
That would be insane :) Just like my Indy sleds on wheels...hang on!
No kidding.. heck even the 600cc motors in my sleds are 110-120HP.

Going back to high maintenance performance 2 strokes? There are already bitching about too much maint on these motors!

Besides, anything a 2 stroke can do, a 4 can do better.

Give it time. Eventually i could see them using 4cyl 's like the street bikes. 600cc's making 130hp. Reliably.

Im sure if they wanted to, they could up the power on the 850 , over 90hp if they wanted to.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
True but they were a little more willing to increase price to keep up quality. Just seems like we are the test team these days to cut costs. Pass on the Research and Development to the enthusiasts. Motorcycles, cars and even dirt bikes have factory teams with real world experience to learn from. Our utility ATV's have engineers with diplomas:)
I live very near the Polaris R&D facility and know/ know of people that work there. While no real specifics are given from them, they do say that the new models are tested daily by the employees on their breaks. While this is not the same as a 4 hr trail ride,I agree, Its not like they design and build off just a computer. They do look for real world problem. That being said, I would never buy a 1st model year ANYTHING.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
964 Posts
I definitely see a 1000cc XP in Polaris future.

Just my .02

biz
:)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Skidoo ACE 600 2 cylinder four stroke snowmobile that puts out 60 hp, 600cc=60hp, the new ACE 900 3 cylinder four stroke puts out 90hp, 900cc=90hp. The other atv manufacturers had better hope that BRP doesn't start putting these engines into their atv lineup.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Someone asked "how much bigger do you need?"
Simple answer... Polaris needs an 1100
The CanAm 1000 kicks the snot out of my 850XP. Granted there is a $6500 difference in price tag between mine and my buddy's but hey... It's as big of a difference as that of a 550 and an 850.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts