Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i know the answer based on the owners manual (doesn't) but wanted to make sure by hearing from others. My 2010 has one and figured this one would too. I am ready to change its oil (first time for me on this older machine). :hmmm:

·
11,250 Posts
Sure it does. All the 4 strokes do so far as I know. #13 in the picture. I've never found anything in one and they're often very hard to get out. I don't bother with them anymore.

·
11,250 Posts
Only the dry sump fuji engines that Polaris uses have them.
Yeah, you're right William. I guess I kinda overstated it in my response. All of the dry sump engines that I'm familiar with that have an external oil tank have one that's serviceable. Actually, I think some of the wet sump engines like the 800 twins have a screen in the oil pickup assembly in the crank case but it's not a regular service item.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
screen for non-ferrous and how to remove easily

Thanks guys! So i guess this oil screen is meant to capture any non-ferrous materials? So that may include aluminum, maybe. On my '10 sporty the oil screen comes out clean as a whistle, so i was also thinking of skipping it on my '98 but then I thought why not do it just once so i can sleep at night. Yeah a little tough to get out. I came up with a goofy yet effective way to remove that bolt from a difficult angle. I took my plumbers wrench (the one that is used to tighten/loosen the nuts hot/cold water lines from beneath a sink) then clamped a vise grip to the handle end, that made is Super EZ to reach and loosen. Goofy but it works! :smoker:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts