Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my oil change kit for my 01 sportsman they guy in the dealer told me to use the Polaris engine oil in the transmission too, I also heard of people using Mobile 1 0w40, does anyone else use the same fluid in the transmission or is there anything better to use

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
An "gear oil" would be a better option. OEM calls for AGL. AGL definitely is not an engine oil -- it has more of a gear oil consistency. I know some people do run engine oil in the trannys. I personally wouldn't. You also probably won't notice any drastic side effects; I just have no idea on the long term effects. Not a risk I would want to take.

I'd rather run something more along the lines of a 75wt gear oil if I wasn't running AGL.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I run a synthetic chaincase lube same as my sled. I don't think motor oil or gear oil is a good idea in the tranny. AGL is much thinner than gear oil. Motor oil doesn't have the anti foaming additives found in transmission lubes. Synthetic ATF might work...

The only odd fluid on these bikes is the Hilliard diff/hub fluid. There are alternates but they aren't much cheaper and don't come in convenient volumes... I don't want to buy and store 5 gallons or even one gallon of UTF when it only takes 8oz to fill the hilliard diff. :D

From orbit via Android.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I run amsoil chaincase oil....but if you go to any sled shop they will have chaincase oil also..but alot here run 5-40 or 5-30 motor oil...synthectic....thy dont seem to have any problem...I know it does not take heavy gear oil...dont put any type gear lube in there with a wieght of 75-90....

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Yes Castrol Edge 5-30 in motor and tranny , I service several other machines, run it in all of them, never any problems .

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes Castrol Edge 5-30 in motor and tranny , I service several other machines, run it in all of them, never any problems .
The only problem with motor oil is aeration or foaming. It may not be an issue but it worried me.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your trans takes Polaris AGL. As I am not an engineer I can't say how bad it would be to run 0-40 in the trans, but I do know of several people running synthetic 5-30 and not having any problems. On my personal machine I use Polaris fluids as it doesn't take that much and it doesn't need changed often enough to bother trying to pinch pennys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I after reading many opinions on engine oil in the trans, in mine I went with 50wt and it runs quieter than with all.

·
Registered
14,477 Posts
I after reading many opinions on engine oil in the trans, in mine I went with 50wt and it runs quieter than with all.
You can actually run any gear oil in the tranny - engine oil with a JASO rating is approved for use in the transmission, but should be changed at the same intervals as the engine oil. I use ATF type F in the gearboxes of all my two strokes and have since the 60's i it is an extreme pressure lube like 80w90, but has the viscosity of about a 7 weight. A heavier oil may make the gearbox quieter, but running 60w in a Harley makes the engine quieter also. I run 20w50 in my Harley, but it's a newer engine with alloy cylinders and not the old cast iron jugs.

You can run any oil in the transmission, but gear lubes are preferred. Dodge used ATF in their manuals transmissions from the factory. The only difference between an automatic transmission and a manual transmission is the multiplate wet clutches and the pumps. ATF still lubricates the gears whether the gearbox is manual or automatic. My Honda CRF250X gets engine oil in the motor, but ATF in the transmission.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
9,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts