Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of jumping on the video reviews of the 2017 XP1000 solo units. Apparently they feel the frame has been strengthen enough to allow this without concern. (I believe 1 of the members her stated they reinforced all the main frame areas that had been weak in 2015 with the exception of the aarm tabs.)

I would really prefer to have the extra wheelbase of the touring for solo riding...but am wondering if that is still weak as it uses the older pre-2017 design. If I move back to a traditional ATV, I think I would still like to catch a couple inches of air from time to time.

I also wonder if for 2019 they will move the solo re-design into the touring version with the 3 way throttle, integrated storage, sculpted plastics etc...but that is probably a discussion for a different thread.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I can tell you that a 2 up atv has a very rough time lifting the front end. I have a 2011 850 X2 and it will not wheelie under any circumstances. Even pushing it hard up a hill, at the top it just kinda rolls over on all fours. It may catch a little air, but nothing spectacular. Longer wheelbase makes it impossible to wheelie, but it makes it climb like a billy goat and feel way more stable.

·
Registered
204 Posts
jumping requires good shocks and frame supports

link: cecco-racing frame supports. front and back sets required. https://cecco-racing.myshopify.com/collections/all

wheelies require a clutch kit and re-programming of the computer.

wheelies are much harder on touring models because of the longer front to back wheel base.
the bike is a leaver, the rear wheel is the fulcrum point.
the longer the bike, and the more weight at the front of the bike, the more torque will be needed to lift up the front end.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have done some asphalt 0-60 testing and found that with a good tune (PC-V) my front would hop up and settle back down sometimes getting a bit high. With QSC clutch kit it will wheelie onto the trailer ball mount with ease. I ended up with 120# in the front box and even then if you hit it right it will climb and carry the front tires.

Cecco frame braces are a no brainer as is his pinion cover as it has the proper reliefs in it to make sure that it fits w/o interference.

Stock shocks and springs are garbage. I went with the Fox RC2's and they are awesome.

·
Registered
204 Posts
there is only 1 available for our bike from FOX.

front or rear : 1.5 podium rc2 reservoirs
https://www.ridefox.com/2016/product.php?m=atv&t=shocks&p=1138&make=POLARIS&model=Sportsman 1000 XP&type=Stock+Shock+Mount+(Stock)+A-Arms&year=2015-2016&position=Front&ref=shockfinder

1095.00 per pair.

or...
elka suspension shocks
https://us.elkasuspension.com/product-category/sports-utility-quad/polaris-quad/sportsman-xp1000-2015-to-2016/

stage 1 through 5. from $479 per pair to $1699 per pair
all elka shocks are made specifically for YOU. your weight, your bike, your tire weight, your riding style.

they offer a great stage 3 kit (all 4 shocks) for $1299

·
Registered
534 Posts
I would highly recommend dual speed compression and rebound control if you plan to get aggressive. You will not find a low cost alternative but once you ride them and start to dial them in you'll see why.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a video that shows the kind of touring jumping I am talking about....just looking to do this kind of thing. Looks like it works fine with the standard suspension, but I am sure after market shocks would be a huge improvement:

·
Super Moderator
6,960 Posts
Jump them at your own risk. It's 1,000+ lbs (including the rider) you're throwing around. Land wrong and something is likely to break. A 400 lb. sport quad is a much better choice if jumping and wheelies are your thing. They are made for that type of abuse. Utility quads are not. A concept many can't seem to grasp.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob....that is a very valid point. We are talking 1/2 a ton of stuff right. Probably best to minimize impacts to 1 or 2 wheels at a time. That said, I wonder what the thought process behind the scrambler is....that weighs almost as much I think with the same frame.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've jumped my scrambler plenty of times without any issue. I'm talking 5+ feet off the ground. And 25 or so feet of distance. I am planning on getting Cecco braces but haven't ordered them yet. Breaking things while jumping is more likely when you land wrong. Doesn't matter what the wheeler is, falling 10 feet out of the air straight on to all 4 tires will break something. You want to have the rear tires hit the ground slightly before the fronts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've jumped my scrambler plenty of times without any issue. I'm talking 5+ feet off the ground. And 25 or so feet of distance. I am planning on getting Cecco braces but haven't ordered them yet. Breaking things while jumping is more likely when you land wrong. Doesn't matter what the wheeler is, falling 10 feet out of the air straight on to all 4 tires will break something. You want to have the rear tires hit the ground slightly before the fronts.

the scrambler is made for that more aggressive riding. it has fox shocks from the factory.

========

The "jumps" in the video are cute. the should not be an issue for the stock suspension.

I WOULD HIGHLY recommend the Cecco Frame braces regardless.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The scrambler and the sportsman have basically the same frame. They don't all come with fox shocks from the factory. Mine did not. But at some point I will be putting stage 3 elkas on it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bob....that is a very valid point. We are talking 1/2 a ton of stuff right. Probably best to minimize impacts to 1 or 2 wheels at a time. That said, I wonder what the thought process behind the scrambler is....that weighs almost as much I think with the same frame.
no.. best to spread out the weight to as many wheels as possible.
do you want "1/2 a ton of stuff" increased by the force of gravity from "jumping" to all be on 1 or 2 wheels?
if on 1, you will have a few tons of force all on 1 A-arm?
if on 4, you will have that same few tons / divided by 4, one fourth of the impact per tire.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I meant that you never get more than 1-2 wheels off the ground so you have plenty of distributed support....ie don't jump.

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My bone stock 1000xp touring will lift the front end whenever it feels like it and I have jumped it with a passenger just going up a sand dune

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
204 Posts
"lift"ing while stock easy.
the OP used the word "Wheelie"

"Now, this is a knife!"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Scramblers are NOT made to jump either.
The brochures SAY you can jump them, the videos SHOW that you can jump them, I HAVE jumped mine, but that doesn't mean you should!
I tracked mine at a local mx track as it was accessible from the trails we were riding and I have a history of racing MX (dirt bikes). Opportunity was just too good to pass up. Boy did I pay for it.
Minor jumping from time to time I am sure isn't terrible for it.
I was clearing 35'-40' jumps with ease, well full throttle but easy nonetheless.
With under 1000 miles I had to replace every bushing, all 4 wheel bearings, ball joints and something broke internally on my front diff.
Do what you want, but even with Fox suspension, this quad is not made to do it.
The suspension is better than most stock utility style atv's but still isn't good enough to handle the 750lb quad and my 210lbs while jumping imho.

I bought the Scrambler because I wanted an all around quad, figured this hybrid sport/utility quad was the ticket. The one thing I learned is, get the Scrambler and a sport quad and you're good for any style.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Oh and even though I felt as though I was landing as gingerly as one could on a 750lb machine, I still broke multiple plastic tabs on both left and right headlights. My headlights were hanging by one bracket on both sides when I was finished. Had to replace the entire from piece of plastic.
And wheelying is no problem at any speed under probably 15mph in almost all conditions. That is until the quad is caked with mud, the extra weight makes it a little more difficult.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts