Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we will have to put down our best friend Shadow. She has been a great buddy for eight years and taught me to be a better person. Cancer sucks for people and dogs. We will have to do this soon. My wife Sandy is taking it hard. Take the time today and give your little furry friend a treat today for Shadow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
so sorry about Shadow..I have 3 dogs my self and like kids to me...i have put a few dogs down and its a tuff thing to do...here is something for your wife and your self.....

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's so nice. Thanks and I will for sure show my wife. And I know how you feel when you say they are family. She went everywhere with us!!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Sorry to hear about your furry friends health.

We too have been contemplating a similar situation for a little while.... old age is starting to get the better of one of our furry friends. Vet says if we try surgery to fix/improve issues, he likely won't make it anyway. We know what we think we should do for his sake.... but don't know what to do for our kids sake.

Tough choices....

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very difficult times indeed. I have two dogs that are my children. I've had dogs in the past as well. I have always believed that you have to do what is best for the beloved friend. If they are suffering it's not fair to keep them alive for your happiness. That can be a very difficult dynamic to determine because you obviously don't want to put them down before they are ready to go.

I wish you, your wife, and Shadow peace and comfort during such a heart breaking transition.

I love the poem above and fully believe all bonded souls connect again.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
So sorry, I know this day is coming for me and I cringe at the distant thought of it. My lab has been by my side through the worst and lowest points of my life and was a loyal friend to me no matter what. Dogs are a special creature, they give us so much happiness and joy, but put us through so much grief when it's time to say goodbye. And yes, dogs rule.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Sorry to hear that

My little friend of nearly 14 years passed Jan 27 7:01am while stroking her hair for the last time. She developed cancer also. She was an amazingly strong dog till the end, her appetite shifted and I kept looking for better things to feed her, the last week she only ate plain dry cheeseburgers. My vet gave me steroids to give her, they really made her feel better and took the swelling down a notch. I took her on my last long drive to pick up my '10 sporty in ark then she road that thing every weekend with me that past fall. From the point I find out she was terminal to her passing was about 2 months so there was still lots of time left. Sweet memories of 'Sally from the Valley'. :sadwavey:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
sorry to hear that. we're looking at the same issue with our Golden "Mossy" he's my step son's dog. The dog we told him we'd get when we moved into the new house. He joined our family just before Christmas in 2009. only weeks before my 4 yr old was born. He was diagnosed with the beginning stages of liver failure last spring in combination with an arthritic spine and heart issues. So we know he only has so long before it will be his time to go.

How do you deal with this with children? well we were honest with them. and we got a puppy. We're hoping that Mossy will be around long enough to teach Bruno (chocolate lab border collie mix) some good manners. Right now the puppy phase is overpowering the good influence... but only time will tell.

As it stands right now. Mossy seems to be doing great. He still can't jump into the back of the truck anymore, but he'll chase balls and play with the puppy so he's definitely not ready to go yet.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
First of all you have my sincere thoughts and prayers and what you are about to do is not only the proper thing to do but is the only choice you have.

I had a big 105lb Black Lab, Dusty, who was fully trained for blind retrieves and field trials. He never barked was there when our kids were born and was the "big brother" to them being wary but never protective. He got cancer in his shoulder and got to the point where he had trouble getting up. We finally made the decision to put him down as his quality of life was very poor and he was in pain.

He was such a great companion that it took me over 5 years to get another dog. When I did I rescued another Lab (sucker for the Black Lab's) from a lady who was getting divorced. Well this one turned into the World's Most Expensive free dog. First he had heartworm from previous owner not being willing to spend the $50 on preventative meds. We treated that and a year later he contracted Blastomycocis which is a fungal infection. Both of these are extremely fatal even when treated, but we did it.

I am glad to say that $10K later, Gunner is now eight and although slowing down still with us. To help keep him younger and so I don't have to go through his eventual passing alone we just ordered a new puppy from a friend who breeds Labs. Like Thor said we are hoping that Gunner will pass on some of his great traits to the puppy and the puppy will help keep Gunner young for a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
978 Posts
Very sorry to hear that. Its such a hard thing to go through. All my dogs are my best buds and i'm not looking forward to that day at all. I hope you can find another furry friend that will be everything this one was.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Tough deal for sure. We have three and no kids left at home so when we have to give up our dogs it will be tough. The oldest dog is 9 years old now and is slowing down.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We just got a new pup. Now Shadow is training her. We hope this will help we the transition when we do have to put her down!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
So so sorry. We have a four year old chocolate lab and dread the day. They really are your best friend always willing to go wherever you go. Remember the good times. "When you buy a pet you buy a heartache" words from my uncle. He has owned a few labs. Again so sorry, Jake just got an extra milk bone for Shawdow.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today we put her down? Thanks for being a good buddy Shadow?

·
Registered
87 Posts
A sad day indeed. I've got a 12 and 8 yr old lab and they are everything to me and my family. Everything they do is aimed to please and is unconditional. Putting a friend like that down is the hardest and the easiest thing to do. Hardest in that you don't want to end such a fantastic relationship and will miss them each and every day. Easiest because you, and the dog most times, know it is the best thing to do. Give yourself some time to mourn, have a good cry (or two, or three, or four) and then sit back and remember all the good times. May bring a small tear back to your eye, but more importantly will put a big smile on your face. Condolenses.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had to let the family Yorkie go after ten years. It was just terrible to watch her try and get around.

My thought is as long as you have memories she is still alive if only in memory. I have had dogs before and since and it is always a sad day when you part.

I always find a new dog but never forget the past ones.

Have happy thoughts and memories; you both deserve them.

sb

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Cagecam, I'm very sorry for you , your wife, and of course for Shadow. I hate stories like this but it is part of life, and the best way to honor your pet is to do what is the best thing for them, no matter how hard it is for you. I'm sure Shadow would want you to find another pet to give the love you have given to her. My prayers for you and your family....Rich

I see you have already found another pup. Good luck with the little one and I hope he will help with the transition of not having Shadow anymore

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry for your loss just had to do this with my white shepherd/yellow lab December 1st it is the last act of kindness you can do for your fur kid....miss my boy everyday he is on the first page of the dog sticky. We just got a red lab pup for our other dog she was lonely, now we all tired from puppy chasing! She is pain free and waiting at the rainbow bridge !

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone. She was a great dog and now my wife is training our new pup!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts