Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the irony - I load from the patio, because its almost flat with the bed of the truck, cause using the ramps gives me the willies. I backed on so when I get where I'm going I could pull forward down the ramps. It was a helluva ride!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,301 Posts
Well at least u know the 4 wheel drive system is in working order. Hey u aren't hurt truck looks fine just a little ego to repair. I load my quad in my truck also, most of the spots we ride its easier to get the truck in without a trailer. I'm skidish about loading and unloading I guess I watched to many YouTube vids. I use 8ft 2x12 df planks reinforced with angled aluminum strips. My tailgate is high on my truck which makes for a step loading angle. I have found if I take a minute to chk the positioning of my wheels and place all four on the ramp and take it slow (no wheel spin) in 4 wheel drive L.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I agree w/bp405, low range in 4wd , up nice & slow. When put mine in the back of my pickup, i had to put a couple stop boards for the tires just so my winch won't hit the back glass.
Have fun.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Accidents happen to everyone. Once i was diong some chores around the house and i had my atv right next to my metal shed. I unloaded the stuff from my atv and put in the shed and got on my bike and i was looking behind me ready to back up, i hit the throttle and BOOM !! i made a huge dent in my shed. I forgot i had in LOW.:rotflmao:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
hahahaha ive seen worse, worse I have done when loading was on my flat bed and the ramp slipped out when loading so I gave it enough throttle to make it on the bed........gave it a bit to much and lunched off the other side and hit a tree XD

two lessons learned
first make sure straps are secure and second don't park next to a tree XD

·
Registered
862 Posts
Crap happens, at least you took pictures lol. I did that with a snowmobile, tried like 3 times and the track would spin half way up the ramps. 4th attemp gave it a bit more gas, bit to much and hung the skis off the front of the trailer.

·
Registered
553 Posts
They say loading accidents account for a large number of ATV injuries. Just learn from it and move on we have all had our teachable moments!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board, I put mine on the truck forgot to put in gear and pulled away to show mom the new wheeler I got, it rolled back and dropped down on the tailgate OUCH, but didn't fall out on the street... lol Sorry I deleted the BS in this thread.

·
Registered
314 Posts
On an educational note.....some have probably seen it or might have even had a mishap on loading their ATV into their truck bed. I usually use my trailer but for different reasons sometimes us my truck bed.

For the longest time I did not use blocks in mine to stop me before hitting the back window. I never did but eventually had a buddy take his back window out so even though I think I would never do that, I now use blocks.

Another useful piece of info
If loading your quad with a flat tire it gets very squirrely going up a ramp. Once again I learned this from another friend who had a flat at the end of our ride so he planned on fixing it later. Anyway he tried to ride his 800 up the ramp and he and it went off to the side. The quad fell on him and he was hurt enough that we made him go to the ER before going home. How many people take their helmet off before loading up? He did and it turned out not to be a good idea. A few years later I had to ride a flat back to my truck and did not use my trailer. I was extra extra careful when loading mine due to his mishap. And yes it was more squirrely than I might have thought without "his" knowledge. I had a person on each side to help guide it on while I rode it up.
I of course advised them to bail out if it got ugly. We got it on there but it wasn't exactly the straightest landing ever.

Many may already be aware of many of the dangers in our hobby but education and learning form others is a good thing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oops left one out.....I forgot to mention...make sure you secure the ramps to the truck. A few rides back we were at staging, I walked away to use the bathroom. On my way back I saw one of the unloaders with his quad straight up and down (sitting on the back end and the front end straight up in the air. My first thought was "wow that's an interesting way to unload, I have never seen that method before" I wasn't sure what had happened. Turns out the guy thought it would be okay to unload without securing the ramps. He thought the weight of the quad would be enough to hold the ramps in place. Not so sure I would ever want to rely on that but one key issue is....what if the tires push the unsecured ramps off the truck bed. Yep...ramps off....quad off....straight up and down....he was not hurt......very lucky in fact........he apparently had never loaded a quad in a truck bed before and was somewhat new to the whole process. He will never do that again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I will add. When you use straps from ramp to truck. Make sure there very tight. As when. Your coming off truck the back of truck raises and will let ramps slide some from tailgate.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I like the wide tri fold ramps as they can be locked into the tailgate and wont budge. I do put a wood block in the front to keep my front bumper from going through the window and I always where my helmet when loading. Very dangerous situation with lots of metal and potentially a 1000 lb ATV on top of you. I tried indvidual ramps and they move all over the place. The ramp I have are the full width of my tailgate and I can rachet it down to my hitch and it doesn't move. I then tri-fold them and slide them under the atv for transport. First time loading is a bit scary but use 4 wheel drive and fully commit in Low Gear and don't stop once are in the back of the Truck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I built me a lil wood contraption to keep my ATV from hitting my back window. I ordered a Bi-fold ramp that works pretty good so far. I haul my 500 on my truck but when it warms up I'll have to haul my wife's 335 on the trailer. On the original poster, hat's off to man up to your miss hap. Many more have done worse but will never admit it..be safe....ride on

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks like a good time to unload that wood from the trailer. Be careful when you load with the tires covered in red Georgia mud....slick.

·
Registered
455 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, I too have watched many a mis-hap video on the dreaded youtube!

Always, always strap your ramps to the truck! Heck, we were unloading from a low trailer just last night (about a 1.5') and still strapped the ramps down. It's a habit I don't ever want to break.
As far as loading. I truly don't mind it at all... Like people have said, secure your ramps, then line up the machine, back off a few feet, low gear in 4wd and then just ride right up. The trick is to not go too fast or too slow and keep the throttle steady until your back tires are on the bed. You will not be going much more than a couple miles per hour and can easily stop in less than a foot... Easy Squeazy.

WHS

·
Registered
182 Posts
Well, I too have watched many a mis-hap video on the dreaded youtube!

Always, always strap your ramps to the truck! Heck, we were unloading from a low trailer just last night (about a 1.5') and still strapped the ramps down. It's a habit I don't ever want to break.
As far as loading. I truly don't mind it at all... Like people have said, secure your ramps, then line up the machine, back off a few feet, low gear in 4wd and then just ride right up. The trick is to not go too fast or too slow and keep the throttle steady until your back tires are on the bed. You will not be going much more than a couple miles per hour and can easily stop in less than a foot... Easy Squeazy.

WHS
Haven't had it happen yet but keep in the back of your mind that you might have to bail and kinda have that thought ahead of time. Of course I'm Monday morning quarterbacking here...lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts