Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fan just recently went out on my PO PO and they wanted like 230 for it from pure polaris well i did some parts matching and tripac makes the motors for our fans... and they make generic fans for cars... well 44 bucks later and i had a motor that mounted up to the existing holes

Fans - Tripac 11 Reversible Fan
that is the fan i bought and it fit right in..

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Good to know thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
my fan just recently went out on my PO PO and they wanted like 230 for it from pure polaris well i did some parts matching and tripac makes the motors for our fans... and they make generic fans for cars... well 44 bucks later and i had a motor that mounted up to the existing holes

Fans - Tripac 11 Reversible Fan
that is the fan i bought and it fit right in..
hope that fan was for the 2013 850 scrammy in ur sig, just ordered one for
my po po

·
Registered
216 Posts
mine was a tripac, little modding had to be done but went in and working well, rad needed a cleanup as well.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My fan motor seized up on a trip the other weekend. Got it freed up enough so that the ride wasn't ruined. I ordered the fan above before I took everything apart (thanks recon for the part number). Upon closer inspection, the factory fan motor has 3 mounting tabs but the replacement above only has 2. As a previous post mentioned, some slight mods are required but I was able to fit the new one in. I also opted to use the new fan blade that came with the new motor. I'll be putting everything back together shortly.

I decided to do some forensic analysis on the old motor. Although it is sealed, I was able to drill out the 3 stakes on the outer flange and vary carefully separate the motor case halves. They are siliconed together. Once the case was separated the armature came out the brush holder. The rear bearing is a 608 bearing with shields. It was fine. The front bearing (closest to the fan blade is a 608-2RS bearing with 2 lip seals. It was obviously the bad one. After gently heating the motor case around the front bearing, I was able to press the armature and bearing out of the case (Tripac uses a retaining compound on the front bearing to motor case). The hardest part was getting the front bearing off of the shaft since the bearing was pressed on and was very close to the windings (<1/8" clearance). You have to be very careful as the windings are encased in a brittle phenolic compound....very poorly I might add. I used a bearing separator to support the bearing and an arbor press to press on the shaft. Here's a photo of everything apart. I'll be putting everything back together in the reverse order.

$10 bearing and some time as opposed to a $250 CAD fan assembly. At least I've got a spare motor now.

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Check out Quad Logic for that kind of stuff. Friend of a friend started it about a year ago. All OEM replacement stuff at a fraction of the cost without the Polaris PN on it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
How has the tri pac fan held up. Pretty sure I need a new fan (power going to the motor won't spin) and for 44 bucks can't beat that. Did it fit just fine and bolt up good? Was the wiring plug the same? Appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
How has the tri pac fan held up. Pretty sure I need a new fan (power going to the motor won't spin) and for 44 bucks can't beat that. Did it fit just fine and bolt up good? Was the wiring plug the same? Appreciate it.
The TriPac fan listed in the first post is exactly the same as the factory original from Polaris except that it uses 2 mounting screws instead of 3. It also comes with a fan shroud (which you will not need) and a new fan blade. It does not come with a connector but you can either buy a 2-pole Weatherpack connector or cut and splice the old one onto the new motor. Note that the existing mounting bosses on the Polaris shroud will have to be trimmed slightly to ensure that the new motor sits properly.

You can reuse your old fan blade or use the new one. Note also that the new fan assembly is setup as a pusher,not a puller. Simply flip the blade over to turn it into a puller. The new one seems to be much quieter....but I could just be imagining things as the bearing in the motor was getting quite loud.

Mark

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Following...

I have my old fan sitting in my garage (first one covered under warranty) so I might as well fix it up and get it ready for when the one I have breaks...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread......

The Tripac fan I ordered from Racer Parts Wholesale (above) lasted 2 years. I overheated on a ride last weekend. Good thing I brought my rebuilt original with me!

The Tripac fan motor spun manually but would not turn when power was applied. I took it apart and found that the 2 motor brushes were stuck in their respective holders. As the brushes wore, the springs could not push them out of their holders to maintain contact with the commutator. I got them freed up, lubed them up a bit, replaced the bearings (why not) and put everything back together. It works great. Now I have a spare ready to go when I overheat again!

Mark

Reactions: sportsmandan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for quick reply mark. Her fan works great it just makes bearing noise. I think I’ll try to replace bear8ngs as you posted. Quick question, however, is how were you able to reattach housing and how did you seal it back?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I simply used black rtv (sparingly) between the 2 housing halves and used pop rivets in the holes I drilled to remove the original stakes.

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts