Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Can anyone tell me what would cause a drive belt to explode? It was brand new with about 200 mile on it, and I know it was the right belt,

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
What were you doing when it exploded? What machine do you have?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, Its a 97 xpress 400l, Out on the ice crossing the lake, trail ridding with snow covered and I run chains on the back, 2wd

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Worn clutch parts, motor mounts, improper belt break in, incorrect clutching for your setup, using high great when you should be using low, defective belt. Just a few things to start with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be will to say improper break-in, as I didn't know there was one, everything else seems fine like motor mounts and primary clutch, the secondary clutch has a small ting when I spin it so I took it off and it sounds like a little rock or something inside it, so I plan on popping it apart tomorrow night.
So I know, what is the proper break-in a new belt ?

All your commit's help !

·
Registered
345 Posts
Belt break in is variable throttle, no heavy loads, no long idling, no wide open, no hard runs for about 3 to 4 hrs. Let the belt warm to operating temp and cruise around for a bit, varying throttle. Sounds like you already found the culprit, though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL ! I never did anything like that, I put the new belt on and went trail ridding in the snow with full throttle and burning my way not even thinking about it because it seem to run better with the new belt,
If your referring to the clutch part I will know tomorrow and let you all know what I found !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Belt when on good, slipped over primary then over top of secondary and turned the two clutches and it popped right on !

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the clutch apart and found that one of the sheave Bushing bolt snapped, Lots of garbage and crap inside it, cleaned everything and drilled and tapped the broken bolt, turned the bushing like the manual said so all that's left is put it all back together

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I Put it all back together and things seem to be good, smooth ride and I think its better then before, Talked to the son of the previous owner and he said his Dad has had problems with belts and that it would feel powerless and start burning belts, I asked if he ever had the clutch worked on and he said no just kept putting new belts on, so I hope I found the problem and I'm good to go, Thanks for all the help Guy's !!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you need help with the clutches I'm about 2 hours south of Duluth. I get them shipped in and out on a regular basis for rebuilds and service if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts