Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Xplorer 400L and the drive belt keeps ripping. Im going on my 2nd replacement in two weeks. I just adjusted the idle to a lower rpm, I'm going to reseal the outer seal on the transmission case, and then get a high performance belt. I noticed belt marks inside the case. Could that help rip the belt? The engine doesn't move when I rev it so it can't be an engine mount. I have a picture that shows the one rip on the outside of the belt. and there is one grip missing on the inside. Is there any other reasons for the ripping?
Thanks ahead:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had some hairline cracks in the lower part of my 04 700 front clutch and was going thru belts till I found those hairline marks. They were basically shaving the side of the belt slightly then causing it to blow up under load.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'd thoroughly check the clutch sheaves before spending good money on a new belt only to have it ripped to shreds. The belt in your picture isn't normal belt wear. I don't think throwing on a new belt will solve your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It functions great when I put on a new belt, I have looked for some hairline cracks but not very well I will check on it and give you feedback

1 - 6 of 6 Posts