Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this 2007 sportsman 800. The previous owner said the drive belt needed replacement and provided me with an aftermarket belt can't find sleeve but i think the brand started with a V. I checked the part # on line and it was correct. So old belt was totally smoked. Installed new belt and now at idle the machine is moving forward and very hard to shift. This belt seamed very tight on pulleys / clutch so there is no slippage at idle. Should I go with an OE belt?

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts
Sounds like the belt might be wrong.

When you say the belt was smoked, exactly what was the belts condition.

·
9,488 Posts
Sounds like you probably have a EBS belt on non-EBS clutches. The 2007 800 was configured either way from the factory. EBS belt is much tighter since the drive/primary clutch has a one-way bearing in the center for the belt to run on. Non-EBS belt is much looser since it does not have a bearing to run on.
If you determine you have non-ebs clutches, then you need OEM belt # 3211116 or Gates # 20G3982

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So all of your answers are great. The old belt was in very poor condition inside teeth were missing but it still moved the machine. I agree most likely the wrong belt. I will have to pull the cover again and inspect for the one way bearing. Looking on Quad Logics web site they show two different belts BL237 2005 to 06 3211106 BL239 2007 to 14 3211113
Is this one way bearing easy to identify. I remember the primary clutch just being a deep V as I inspected it for damage or scoring. Any other sites recommended for parts? Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So went to Polaris dealer this weekend this machine is equipped with EBS got the correct belt same problem secondary always spinning hard to shift. Looked closely at primary clutch belt is rubbing on sides suspect 1 way bearing is seized and not turning. Also primary may not be opening completely. Any other thoughts on inspection / rebuild it or replace it. Also has anyone ever measured primary opening at widest point with it in at rest position?

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Many times when a belt goes, pieces get into the clutch innerds and prevent it from opening, closing, operating smoothly and lineally - may just need to disassemble, clean and lube it.

·
Premium Member
3,980 Posts
Rebuild if you can! Just the shell without any of the weights and springs is like $650 from Polaris. There are some cheap disposable units on Ebay and I have used the Parts Ace one. But I don't think they offer anything with EBS. I did put a Comet clutch on a Scrambler for a buddy of mine. It was about $350.

·
9,488 Posts
You don't have to "suspect" if the one-way is working or not. Just take the belt off and you should be able to roll it one way and not the other with your fingers.
But if the belt is rubbing on both sides and the clutch isn't opening completely then you've got other issues... washers and spacer worn or gone, bushings worn out, belt pieces stuck in it. It needs to come apart and be inspected and/or repaired.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So got the puller and removed primary took it apart and low and behold no 1 way bearing just a solid machined shaft. This is totally the wrong primary clutch for this EBS machine hence the belt problem. Ordered complete new primary from the dealer still has to be assembled and torqued. The main spring and fly weights are sold seperately Go Figure. Looks like total cost is about $650.00. Any thoughts on checking secondary? Did this monkey previous owner mess with that to?

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Did this monkey previous owner mess with that to?
Probably not, but........ You have to know the history. How many owners has it had? Which owner made the change and why? (Usually just a cheap bastard taking the lowest cost way out)

polman should probably chime on this subject - I'm good with electrics more so than clutches - I can look up parts and it is true the spring and weights are not included in a clutch assy. The spring was different for date of mfg., but the weights were the same for all. I looked at the clutch for these models:
2007 POLARIS SPORTSMAN 800 EFI (A07MH76AL/AQ/AX/AY/AZ/A2/MN76AF/AT/AY)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2007 is TN76AF Polaris Sportsman 800x2 with EBS. No past owner history available purchased last august as is condition. My bad!!!

·
9,488 Posts
As I said earlier, the 2007 Sportsman 800 was offered from the factory WITH and WITHOUT EBS so that may or may not have been the original primary clutch that was on it.
The EBS machines have a roller style secondary clutch like in the first picture.
Non-EBS machines have a plain Jane "Rapid Reaction" secondary as in the second pic.
Each setup uses a different belt according to the configuration.
In either case and since you're in on clutches anyway, it would probably be a good idea to take the secondary apart to inspect for worn parts and clean/repair as needed.

·
9,488 Posts
LOL... Ok, so NOW you tell us the rest of the story Paul Harvey. Yes, your X2 was originally an EBS machine.
The previous owner may not have liked EBS and changed them for that reason as many people do. Or... the old one-way bearing may have failed and he just took the cheap easy replacement way out with a used clutch of the wrong type... who knows?
Get the machine fixed up the way YOU like it and you should have no more clutch/belt problems for a while so long as you inspect, clean and maintain them properly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts