Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got through replacing the u joints for the front prop shaft on my 2015 scrambler 850 and I noticed something weird about the shaft itself. Everything I’ve ever learned/ heard/ done with drive shafts it was always very important that the u joints be clocked the same. So why on the front drive shaft are they 45* out? Doesn’t that cause excessive wear on the joints themselves? Someone help me before I take the shaft to a machine shop and have them correct it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
I called my dealer and talked with a mechanic last year on the same issue with the u-joint ends not being clocked,.. their response was that it is suppose to be that way.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I heard too. But the service manager at my local dealership didn’t seem like the most knowledgable guy either. I’d like an actual reason other than “that’s how they designed it”. When u joints are out of phase they bind against each other.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Could be due to the angle that the propshaft has to go. With a car or truck, the driveshaft is in line with the input shaft of the differential. Even 4X4 the front diff pinion shaft is in line with the output of the transfer case. The driveshaft might need to go at and angle down to the pinion shaft, but not to the side. Can't say if they are level with each other, but they are not in line front to back. Front diff is in the center of the machine while the front output is offset to one side.

It has worked like it is for more than a few miles and years. I haven't had to replace any of the u-joints on any of my machines. A couple of the front yokes after the splines get worn, but no u-joints.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did the u joints at 1800 miles. Why Polaris would use non greasable parts is beyond me, but at 1800 miles they were both bone dry and locked up tight.
The offset drive angle is the only thing I could think of to justify the angling.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
U-joints without the grease passage in them are stronger since they don't have a hole drilled through them. But you are right, with the use that these machines are designed for, it would seem to me that a grease-able u-joint is a no brainer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True. But I’m close enough to stock size tire, and I don’t like playing in the mud too much so I’m not concerned about breaking a joint. And worst case scenario it’s really simple to pull the front shaft to get you home.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On my 2014 Polaris Ranger 570 I replaced my OEM u joint with ones with grease fittings in them works perfect the u joint is 338

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts