Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
last week end in Danbury, my Bother in Law we went for a ride I wanted him to bring the new 1000 razor but he brought the new Scrambler, I was impressed a little quicker then my 850 sportsman, definitely Mike

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Did you get the 13 or 14 850xp? I believe they changed the shock mounts on the 14 to the same as the scrambler so maybe you could swap your shocks out for the ride. Must be something different with the exhaust or the ECM on the scrambler because the clutching is the same as you have and so is the rest of the drive line.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2013 850 xp eps

·
Registered
222 Posts
Having tried both a sportman and the scrambler, there MUST be something different in the clutching, this or my scrambler clutches are messed up in a good way since its new...., their clutch dont engage at the same rpm, and the scrambler let the engine rev faster when you go wot

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes they are different but I did not drive it enough to make a intelligent difference from mine
mine really rocks but this thing flew

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Same spring and weights in the primary, and same spring and helix in the secondary. It's not in the clutches. Same gears in the transmission. Has to be in the timing curve of the CDI, or more power from the exhaust. But everything I've read says they are still 77HP just like the sportsman. Maybe the sporty look is tricking the butt dyno into feeling faster? The shocks definitely make it sportier and handle better.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^what about gearing in the differentials? could the scrammy have higherr gears allowing to come out of the hole quciker, and be snappier when you got WOT from a 30 roll?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I've been through the parts fisch on both. All the driveline parts are the same P/Ns. Trying to get my engineer buddy who works for Poo at the R&D facility to give up some info. But he's not talking!! Not even after a bunch of beer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same spring and weights in the primary, and same spring and helix in the secondary. It's not in the clutches. Same gears in the transmission. Has to be in the timing curve of the CDI, or more power from the exhaust. But everything I've read says they are still 77HP just like the sportsman. Maybe the sporty look is tricking the butt dyno into feeling faster? The shocks definitely make it sportier and handle better.
Well... the sportman i tried the clutch engagement was almost right off idle and smooth, my scrambler engage around 2200-2500rpm and more agressive, and at wot the with sportman i was only seeing 6000-6300rpm vs 7000+ for the scrambler...

Maybe just for info... what is the color of the stock clutches springs in there?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Red with a white stripe on both with 24-63 weights. stock engagement on the 850 as around 2200 as well and mine runs up to 6700. 7000 would make sense on the scrambler if there was a difference in timing curve or exhaust that put out a little more power. I'm pretty sure the CDI boxes have different programming. It's the only logical thing it could be. I've seen dyno sheets on the 850 sportsman and they make peak HP at 6700-6800 RPM. And drop off slightly over 6900 and steeply after that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My uncle has a 2013 850 LE EPS Sportsman (Stealth Black) with about 300 miles on it, I have a 2013 Scrambler 850 (Base) with about 70 miles on it, sitting on a set of STI HD3 wheels, and STI Black Diamond XTR tires. We lined them up on a dirt road and they were pretty much bar to bar, I accelerated a bit faster, at best a quad length ahead at first, but he started to reel me in the faster we went. I thought it could have been the wheels and tires on my machine slowing me down a bit. But I have to admit my Scrammy has an audible +20 hp over the 850 Sportsman :aargh4:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought the sportsman and the scrambler where the same hp

·
Registered
222 Posts
Red with a white stripe on both with 24-63 weights. stock engagement on the 850 as around 2200 as well and mine runs up to 6700. 7000 would make sense on the scrambler if there was a difference in timing curve or exhaust that put out a little more power. I'm pretty sure the CDI boxes have different programming. It's the only logical thing it could be. I've seen dyno sheets on the 850 sportsman and they make peak HP at 6700-6800 RPM. And drop off slightly over 6900 and steeply after that.
Would be curious to see someone try it... and maybe dyno a sportman and a scrambler

·
Registered
944 Posts
agreed. Polaris had been saying they're the same, then " recanted " somewhat and then even changed the Sporty's rear end to match the Scrammy.:ponder:

Guys who have both machines or ride both say the Scrammy is faster.

Perhaps the Scrammy's tuned exhaust adds some extra oomph.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
remeber the scrammy is lighter by about 100 lbs i believe That would make a difference , esp off the line

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Sportsman and Scrambler are the same drivetrain (engine, transmission, clutching). The Scrambler is faster because it weighs less and has a better exhaust coupled with slightly better ECU settings to complement the exhaust.

The rear suspension geometry is also the same since 2009. The only change for 2014 was that they used a "slightly" shorter shock on the Sportsman like they did for the 2013 Scrambler XP LE which in turn reduced the scrub of the rear suspension at its extended length. The new rear fox shocks are also the same on both 2014 models however they had to modify the location of the piggyback on the shocks to work with both the Sportsmans & Scramblers different exhaust system routing. That's why the 2014 Scrambler XP Fox shocks are now upside down compared to the 2013 - so they could use the same shocks for both models..

With that said the Sportsman XP with Fox shocks should ride better / smoother as the Sportsman weighs more than the Scrambler XP.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sportsman only weighs 28 lbs more
b

·
Registered
944 Posts
FWIW, Dirt trax tv claims the Scrammy is tuned different than the Sporty. He mentions it at about 1:40 in the following video.

I still suspect the tuned exhaust is a big part of the Scrammy being quicker. After all, we,ve all been adding aftermarket exhaust for decades and getting more power.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
nice video

·
Registered
531 Posts
its the CDI also they boosted the CFM up to get a better air ratio

1 - 20 of 20 Posts