Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday I decided to spring maintenance on my bike ,changing oil and coolant and pulling the wheels off to check the bearings out , it appeared that bearing were due ,so off to the shop and buy 2 sets of bearings after I was finished I was going through the manual on line to see if i had forgot anything only to realize I had put the seals in the hub backwards ,,,,what a major letdown and rookie mistake .Is there anyway of pulling that seal without screwing it up ? or am I better off just going and buying a new set of seals ? thanks guys

·
11,162 Posts
You don't say what your working on but you should be able to carefully pop the seals back out with a pry bar and wood block without messing them up.

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you don't want to do things 3 times buy new seals and be done with it. Your going to ruin them pulling them out.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I can tell you that if I was taking them out I would for sure mess at least one up, probably both, that's just the way it goes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured you guys were right that most likely those seals would be screwed by the time I got them out and then I would have to go to the shop and get new ones anyways ,so I stopped at the Polaris dealership and picked up 2 on my way home,might I add this was a costly mistake at 25.95 Canadian each at a grand total of $58.65 .,,,,,,,,,OUCH more than I paid for a complete seal kit.c Thanks for your advice guys

p500

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i wonder if there is an aftermarket seal from SKF or Timken that you could use. im sure it could be cross-referenced.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I figured you guys were right that most likely those seals would be screwed by the time I got them out and then I would have to go to the shop and get new ones anyways ,so I stopped at the Polaris dealership and picked up 2 on my way home,might I add this was a costly mistake at 25.95 Canadian each at a grand total of $58.65 .,,,,,,,,,OUCH more than I paid for a complete seal kit.c Thanks for your advice guys

p500
$58.95 is a lot less than it would cost you if they were invisibly damaged and you found out the hard way on a long trip. That there is probably less than your gas money for a trip.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scoundral! your absolutely right ,so yes I believe the seals to be very costly mistake ,but I definately want it done right ,do not want to be sitting in a field a few hours out broke down. I'm also sure SFK or Timken do have the correct seals ,but I don't have time to go looking for them at this point ,I want to get this job finished ,so it can be ready for spring.

Thanks again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts