Polaris ATV Forum banner

dummy move

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  p500 
#1 ·
Sunday I decided to spring maintenance on my bike ,changing oil and coolant and pulling the wheels off to check the bearings out , it appeared that bearing were due ,so off to the shop and buy 2 sets of bearings after I was finished I was going through the manual on line to see if i had forgot anything only to realize I had put the seals in the hub backwards ,,,,what a major letdown and rookie mistake .Is there anyway of pulling that seal without screwing it up ? or am I better off just going and buying a new set of seals ? thanks guys

#3 ·
If you don't want to do things 3 times buy new seals and be done with it. Your going to ruin them pulling them out.

#7 ·
I figured you guys were right that most likely those seals would be screwed by the time I got them out and then I would have to go to the shop and get new ones anyways ,so I stopped at the Polaris dealership and picked up 2 on my way home,might I add this was a costly mistake at 25.95 Canadian each at a grand total of $58.65 .,,,,,,,,,OUCH more than I paid for a complete seal kit.c Thanks for your advice guys

p500

#9 ·
$58.95 is a lot less than it would cost you if they were invisibly damaged and you found out the hard way on a long trip. That there is probably less than your gas money for a trip.

#8 ·
i wonder if there is an aftermarket seal from SKF or Timken that you could use. im sure it could be cross-referenced.

#10 ·
Scoundral! your absolutely right ,so yes I believe the seals to be very costly mistake ,but I definately want it done right ,do not want to be sitting in a field a few hours out broke down. I'm also sure SFK or Timken do have the correct seals ,but I don't have time to go looking for them at this point ,I want to get this job finished ,so it can be ready for spring.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.