Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to pull off my primary clutch today to install my clutch kit from QSC and treated the wrong 3/4" bolt in. Not paying attention, I started treading a course tread instead of the fine tread. (Long story ... ) . Now the treads at the beginning inside the clutch are damaged and the fine tread bolt will not screw in. Is there anyway I can fix this, or is there anyway I can still change the weights and spring in the primary with it still on the bike? Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Buy a 3/4" fine thread tap and use that to fix the threads. Just make sure you get the right tap. Next time start the bolt by hand and if it won't go by hand don't put a wrench on it!! Never a good thing to have happen.. but is repairable. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Can change the weights and spring with it on the bike, remove the six bolts around the outside , there is not that much tension on the spring, the outside cover comes off, then you can get to the weights.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you nkatsb00. I'll give that a try. Can I find that tap at any parts store (auto zone, o'reiley's, etc.)?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Russ C. That piece over the weights, does it just come off or will I have to apply some force or such?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes they are often at auto parts stores, not sure which ones carry in your area. Napa always has them up by us. You should be able to get to the weights by removing the outer bolts like Russ C said, I would just advise fixing the threads while you're in there. Just always be sure to check OEM specifications on torque ratings and bolt tightening sequences for your machine. The cover should pop off once bolts are removed, there is a spring behind it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hey "Polarispop", One thing noone mentioned was before you remove the cover, mark the cover and housing for proper orientation on reassembly. The clutch is balanced as an assembly and could possibly vibrate if the cover is clocked wrong. Buddy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts