Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New shoes!

I spent a week shopping for new tires and wheels when the wife figures it out and puts a 400.00 cap on me so I decided to keep my wheels and went with theses Duro Power Grip tires, ordered from Rocky Mountain.Cost, 363.00 to the door and free shipping. There really wasn’t much out there for reviews on this tire and my Polaris dealer said the few he had mounted turned out to be a great tire. No complaints. The only negative thing I read was they vibrate at speed and I did feel it at 45mph but it wasn’t bad and the review also said it goes away once the tire wears some. I went with a 26x9x12 tire on the front and got it mounted with no spacer. I did reverse the tie rods and wasn’t really sure about that. I think I got it right. I also had to adjust the toe end and followed the manual on that. It seems to have worked out good, it tracks straight and I have about a inch clearance with 7 psi. I stuck 26x11x12 on the rear, no problems there. I wanted to keep the bike stock but then I also wanted a bigger tire.

I haven’t ridden any trails yet but did buzz around in some of the farm fields around the house. All I can say is compared to the stock tires these tires will -hook –up and they defiantly don’t give or roll.They just bite. Its rides completely different with these radials and as a bonus the wheeler is easier to turn and I did gain an inch more in height which is one thing I was hoping for. Needless to say I`m looking forward to hitting some trails even with it being 28 outside!

Anyhow I just thought I would share since there are so many discussions and questions about tires.

Happy Turkey day everyone!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Thanks a ton!! I love the look of those, and also love the Polaris rims you have.

Please keep us updated, and thank your wife for the limit... Could be good news for us all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a ton!! I live the look of those, and also love the Polaris rims you have.

Please keep us updated, and thank your wife for the limit... Could be good news for us all.
No doubt! She is always right, no matter how much I protest!

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take them to discount tire and have them balanced too. Worth the few $ a tire for the higher speed shakes.
I thought about it when I had them mounted but I wanted to see if there was a shake first. There is some above 45 mph so if it becomes a problem for us then I will have them balanced. Thats for sure!

·
Registered
964 Posts
Really a nice looking tire! Looking towards your review when you get some miles on them.

Might want to play with the psi some. For your setup...you might like running 4 or 5 psi .vs the 7 psi right now. All part of learning your new treads!! :yup:

biz
:wavey:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Either have them balanced by a shop or use Dynabeads. Used them in most of my off road rigs. They work awesome. Gonna try them in my STI Black Diamonds after the holidays.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Glad you're happy with them so far and I look forward to hearing how they perform over time. I agree w varying the psi and seeing what feels the best. Thanks for the pics!!

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They look nice. The were 1 of the contenders when I was first looking. But I was kind of let down by such small sizes. 26" being their tallest tire. So I went with the Traxion Grippers to get 27's.

·
Registered
314 Posts
A friend of mine bought these instead of Bighorns and has since gone back to the Bighorns due to a couple of early failures. Hopefully they will work better for you. He might have just had some bad luck and or maybe I took him places where his Rhino should not have been, they were sidewall puncture type failures.....lots of sharp rocks out here too. Anyway good luck on yours. One not so great review does not mean they are a bad tire and won't serve you well.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had them on my 850xp really liked them there is a little wobble at high speed but thats on pavement you won't feel it on the trails the only drawback is that in the 14" version are 4 ply but the 12" is 6 I just put a set o26x12's on my renegade and really like them
Did you see how they were shipped...its no wonder there is a touch of wobble they really squash them also I found 5 psi worked for me

I think you will really like them I also run the STI Black Diamonds those are great on my max both great tires in my book

Have fun and ride!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,112 Posts
I ride with a guy who runs those. They work well as far as traction goes, but he has had trouble with them holding air when the atv sits for a while. He says he has had that problem from day one. Now they also look like a porcupine with all the plugs in them. They just don't seem to be as puncture resistant as the original Bighorns. But, when they have air in them, they perform pretty much the same. For the price, they seem like a good tire. I wouldn't run more than 5 psi in them.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
You know it is a proven tread design since it is a copy of Big Horns. I have read they seem to be more puncture prone than BHs, but maybe that is people running them on 14s. From the rockymountain website:

*The 25x8R-12, 25x10R-12, 26x9R-12 and 26x11R-12 are 6-ply rated while the 26x8R-14, 26x10R-14 and 26x12R-14 have a 4-ply rating

Seems the 14" rim size are only 4 ply, whereas BHs have 6 ply in those sizes. Essentially the 12" Power Grip and BHs are identical; radial/6 ply.

Either way love the look obviously, I have basically the same!

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good morning everyone. Just want to report I now have about 300 miles on these tires running in the mud, snow and general trail riding. As it stands now I have no complaints. No flats and no puncture`s yet. They do tend to leak down some when the wheeler has been sitting for a while but my motorcycle and our other wheelers do that also. I think it has to do with the temp changes in my shop but I always check tire pressures before I load up anyhow so it’s not a problem. They seem to be holding up very well. I like em!!!

Thanks for everyone imput!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts