Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here use E-track and wheel nets to secure their ATV to a wood decked utility trailer? Wondering if this would be a better way to go than ratchet straps. I have a 16ft trailer that hauls 2 Polaris Sportsman ATVs. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm surprised no one has responded... I'm not sure E-track or over the tire nets, are any better. Attach good HD straps to your machines frame, 2 on the front and 2 stronger ones in the rear and you are good to go.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm surprised no one has responded... I'm not sure E-track or over the tire nets, are any better. Attach good HD straps to your machines frame, 2 on the front and 2 stronger ones in the rear and you are good to go.
That is what I do now, but with this new trailer both times I had it out they came loose, granted my straps are over 8 years old. I think the problem is with the lead ATV as in order to attach the straps I have to go around the front of the tires to the side stake pockets. So I was looking for something different. Also looked at these Shock Straps, but of course the places that sell them closest to me don't have them on hand to look at.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The way I have it set up, I've never had anything come loose. Straps go straight up and over, no angles. One suggestion, if you're running them sideways, put a strap over the seat. Nothing worse than getting to the destination without a seat.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The way I have it set up, I've never had anything come loose. Straps go straight up and over, no angles. One suggestion, if you're running them sideways, put a strap over the seat. Nothing worse than getting to the destination without a seat.
If I decide on going with E-Track the ATVs would be loaded one in front of the other as they are now. It's a 16ft long trailer with rails and a ramp on the rear.

Actually my brother did that once. Left Black River Falls and got back home in IL missing his cargo box seat.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Shockstrap’s are as advertised. You don’t need to see them first. They never loosen on their own. Just buy them, you won’t regret.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shockstrap’s are as advertised. You don’t need to see them first. They never loosen on their own. Just buy them, you won’t regret.
At $100+ for 4 and I would need 8, I am skeptical. I am not sure they will work from the front tow hook, wrapped around the tire to the side stake pocket. Probably be fine on the rest of the tie down spots I use.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've been debating this set up as well. I have an 18' trailer, and have 3 machines (including a RZR). The problem I have is the trailer gets used for so many things, and I haul so many different machines (sometimes have friend's machines) that I'm not sure if it feasable to set it up for a permanent layout.

I already have a set of nets to be sued on the RZR, and figured I would just use ratchet straps on the ATV tires.

·
Registered
569 Posts
At $100+ for 4 and I would need 8, I am skeptical. I am not sure they will work from the front tow hook, wrapped around the tire to the side stake pocket. Probably be fine on the rest of the tie down spots I use.
$100.00 compared to value of 2 Sportsman’s. Plus their quality. I’ve used other straps and they do loosen. Shockstrap’s never do. Maybe not for you, I don’t know, you had mentioned them and I’m just saying they are as advertised and no doubt hold without “any” worries. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
That is what I do now, but with this new trailer both times I had it out they came loose, granted my straps are over 8 years old. I think the problem is with the lead ATV as in order to attach the straps I have to go around the front of the tires to the side stake pockets. So I was looking for something different. Also looked at these Shock Straps, but of course the places that sell them closest to me don't have them on hand to look at.
When you pick up the trail boss, ask to see the ones in the shop truck....they are buried at the bottom of the pile in the back seat under all the ratchet straps we use.

As for me, I put ratchet straps on all the machines and pull them down against the suspension. Mine are all fairly new so they don't come loose and the machines don't move. When I side load on the ATV trailer or my 16ft I use the ratchet straps that come with some of the side by sides to keep the suspension compressed during transport to the dealership. They don't have a hook on them so I bought some short hooks. Now they are short enough to hold everything in place. If you want some, just ask the dealer. We have boxes of them since they come with every 900 and 1000cc Ranger. Can't bring myself to throw them out as they do have their uses at times

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Never had an issue with the previous 16ft trailer, but that one I could strap the front machine to the corners. This one is back a few inches from the corners, so the straps wrap around the front of the tires and has come loose both times we used it. Just weighing different options before I go spending money on it. I am considering the Shockstraps and the E-track along with other ideas.

Supposedly with the E-track, you lock the tires to the trailer so the ATV doesn't move. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with this and if it works on a open utility trailer. I have seen them in enclosed trailers before but not in use and never on one like mine. I am also not sure I want to run rails down the length of the trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Supposedly with the E-track, you lock the tires to the trailer so the ATV doesn't move. Was just wondering if anyone had experience with this and if it works on a open utility trailer. I have seen them in enclosed trailers before but not in use and never on one like mine. I am also not sure I want to run rails down the length of the trailer.[/QUOTE]

I have seen that on some trailers that carry sport side by sides. The track is in the same line as the tires. Kind of a wheel chock mounted so the machine goes in that far and sits. Then a strap is run from the track over the tire and tightened down. If all you ever haul on the trailer is your ATV or UTV that would be fine. Not sure if it is removable or not so you could use the trailer for something else. I suppose you could cut a dado into the trailer deck so the e track would be recessed at the same level as the decking....

Before I got the ATV trailer ours went on the 16' so I added some cleats from Farm and Fleet for the tie downs on the rear of the front machine.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have seen that on some trailers that carry sport side by sides. The track is in the same line as the tires. Kind of a wheel chock mounted so the machine goes in that far and sits. Then a strap is run from the track over the tire and tightened down. If all you ever haul on the trailer is your ATV or UTV that would be fine. Not sure if it is removable or not so you could use the trailer for something else. I suppose you could cut a dado into the trailer deck so the e track would be recessed at the same level as the decking....

Before I got the ATV trailer ours went on the 16' so I added some cleats from Farm and Fleet for the tie downs on the rear of the front machine.
Exactly what I was thinking. Generally the trailer is only used for ATVs, but things happen so I am not sure I want rails sticking up the length of the trailer. I doubt as wide as those rails are you could recess them into the deck though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Been there. I used to use bungy cords on seats but lost one on the interstate. Expensive mistake. I never load a 570 without a ratchet strap now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a 16 foot deck over with wood floors and floor mounted tie downs, easily holds my 3 570s. I don't secure the tires, I hook from front tow loop to floor tie down, and through or around hitch on the back. So far no issues, even on steep, bumpy hill on property. Never used Shockstraps, but look good. Pricey, though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts