Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of buying a Echo 3 place trailer EE-14. Does anybody have any experience with this trailer. I have 2 sportsman 850s and a 700. I like the sideload.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Super Moderator
7,150 Posts
Just be sure it has a heavy enough axle to carry the load you want to put on it. That includes the weight of the trailer plus the weight of the atv's you want to carry on it. I've seen some trailers say they can carry three or four atv's, but won't carry three or four full size, heavy Polaris machines without exceeding the carrying capacity of the trailer and/or the cheap tires that usually come on new trailers.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Not familiar with that

Pic? How much is it? Here is what i got for $995 otd in central texas recently (6x12 w/side-rear loading using side rails-3500lbs less trailer weight of 900 = 2600 carrying weight):

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You're going to need either an upgrade on the axle to a 5200 lbs axle, or a tandem to haul 3 full-size ATVs that are fully loaded. a safe bet on a fully loaded full-sized ATV is close to 900 lbs or more(850xp is 773 dry weight. Plus winch ~60+ lbs, oil & gas 40+ lbs, tools, water, gear, etc 30+ lbs that's 900 right there and some people carry lots of gear and can tip the scales at over 1000 lbs ready for the trails). that's 2700 lbs of just machines. most trailers that size are easily 900+ lbs (My tandem axle steel trailer has tipped the scales at 1600 lbs when the wood is wet... which is most of the time here in western WA) so that's 3600 lbs total weight so you're already over loaded on a 3500 lbs axle. I'd go Tandem myself. I love the way my 14' Tandem axle tows and maneuvers. Post a link so we can see exactly what you're talking about.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Looks like 3 Sportsman would fit, guaging from the front machine being a Sportsman.....

Trailer Link: THREE PLACE ATV TRAILER

But it says one # 3500 axle. So.... ~810 X 3 = ~2430 (3 Sportsman 850 "wet" weight), Now 2430 + 850 (trailer weight) = 3280 Total weight.

# 3500 - # 3280 = # 220 pounds of "wiggle room" for fluids and any accessories.

Specs state "Carry Capacity" = # 2650 pounds.

It would pass technically, but just barely!! And be just at it's absolute max!!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Looks like 3 Sportsman would fit, guaging from the front machine being a Sportsman.....

Trailer Link: THREE PLACE ATV TRAILER

But it says one # 3500 axle. So.... ~810 X 3 = ~2430 (3 Sportsman 850 "wet" weight), Now 2430 + 850 (trailer weight) = 3280 Total weight.

# 3500 - # 3280 = # 220 pounds of "wiggle room" for fluids and any accessories.

Specs state "Carry Capacity" = # 2650 pounds.

It would pass technically, but just barely!! And be just at it's absolute max!!
so bone stock quads would fit, but you're running at the max which wears out parts faster. but start adding accessories on. and you're over loaded real quick. Larger axle, or tandem axle is the way to go if you ask me.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
so bone stock quads would fit, but you're running at the max which wears out parts faster. but start adding accessories on. and you're over loaded real quick. Larger axle, or tandem axle is the way to go if you ask me.
I'd agree with you 100%.... I wouldn't recommend it either, but "technically", the numbers work (@ stock weights, no accessories)....but ever so barely, with only a couple hundred pounds of weight capacity to spare!! Optimal by no means..... but technically legal!! :D To each thier own!!

I personally run a homemade "brick [email protected] house" for a trailer...... Two #3500 axles, frame is 2x3 (3/16 wall) tubing, deck is treated 2x10's, and it pulls like a wet dream!!

Edit/Side Note: Not loaded ideally in this picture.... (a little tongue heavy) but you get the idea. Normally the Blue 400 sits side ways up front and the Red 800 sits front to back behind it, just over and back slightly of the tandems. I fasten the atv's via chain and carabiners, and take the slack out of the chains with a hefty ratchet strap. But if the strap lets do, the atv's will only roll about 6-8" in either dirrection.... keeping them securely fasten and on the trailer!! I like to overdo things! :D (My father was a welder just like yourself ;) )

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, I love my 14' tandem axle. Towing that is like getting road head compared to towing any single axle trailer I've ever towed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have an 18' car trailer and can fit 4 utility quads on there. It's heavy duty and tows great.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have an 18' car trailer and can fit 4 utility quads on there. It's heavy duty and tows great.
Hauled them this way with friends before..... worked slick!! Not to mention multi purpose and heavy duty on the trailer purpose. Usually a used car trailer can be had for the same price as a decent brand new utility trailer. And is easily 1/2 ton towable with 4-5 wheelers loaded in tow!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hauled them this way with friends before..... worked slick!! Not to mention multi purpose and heavy duty on the trailer purpose. Usually a used car trailer can be had for the same price as a decent brand new utility trailer. And is easily 1/2 ton towable with 4-5 wheelers loaded in tow!
Yeah, I bought this trailer when I was drag racing and decided to keep it after I sold my race car. It has 4 wheel brakes and really can haul about anything you can think of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the input I think what i'll do is look for some sort of dual axle car hauler/flat bed. With the weight of 3 big Sportsmans it is pushing the limits of a single axle trailer.

With a car hauler any idea of how to get the ATV over the trailer wheels when side loading?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Thanks for the input I think what i'll do is look for some sort of dual axle car hauler/flat bed. With the weight of 3 big Sportsmans it is pushing the limits of a single axle trailer.

With a car hauler any idea of how to get the ATV over the trailer wheels when side loading?
Many car haulers have either drive over fenders or drop out fenders that pivot out of the way so you'd be driving over the tire, not the metal fender. I personally like the drive over option.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The drive over option would be nice to have. Mine has fixed fenders, so when hauling 4 quads, we have to slide one between the fenders.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

We hauled the Honda's between the wheel wells.... had better racks bumpers to grab onto and drag them around. But otherwise, if side loading, just use the ramp and drive over them. :dunno:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It's not hard to add reinforcement to the fenders that will make them strong enough to hold an ATV. If you look at the picture posted by Mustbenice, you can see how simple it can be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts