Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 Scrambler 500. I read online about a recall a few years back covering the ECM unit. I emailed polaris and they let me know that the scrambler I have is affected and was never fixed.

The problem is they wont just send me the part, and I have no polaris dealers anywhere near me, so a 7+ hour drive to get it fixed. I guess my only option would be to order a unit of ebay and install it myself, or have a local ATV repair guy install it.

Has anyone actually ran into this overheating ECM issue? I'd think after 4 years, if it did have an issue, it would have came up by now.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i worked summers right now at a dealer, so ill give you some info. the reason why you have to go through a dealer is because it is considered a safety recall (highest importance) a dealer needs to submit you vin# so they can order the the ECM for you. then, the dealer must send back your old ECM to polaris so it can be destroyed. if the dealer fails to send the ECM back, then they have to pay for the ECM sent to them. now, i dunno how well you know the dealer, if they will help you, ect. but you can always call them and see if you send in your old ECM to them in the mail, if they will order the new ECM and send it to you. that way, the 1)have your old ECM to get their money back for the new one 2) they know you had to replace the ECM since you no longer have one, and you didnt just turn around and sell the new one.

we had done that for a few guys whos quads where up in the mountains. but we also knew them as a customer, but that is worth a shot to try.

they are SUPER easy to uninstall and install. especially on a scrambler. could easy do it start to finish in less then 10 mins, but first time around will probably take you 30 mins.

the percentage of ECM that overheated were incrediably small. our dealer rep told me there were only 2 confirmed cases of the ECM overheating and catching fire, but that was enough for polaris to voluntarily do this massive recall that has cost them millions of dollars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I didn't pick this machine up from a polaris dealer, so I doubt I'd have much luck getting a ECM by calling and swaping like that.

I think what I'll do is just live with it until I have another reason to go down near the polaris dealer.

Hey -- it's lived for 4 years already without exploding.. it can handle a few more months!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
this is true. side note, next time you plan to go in to where a dealer is, give them a heads up about a week early, cause they WILL have to order this more then likely. its going to be all free to get it done.

and if you want some extra insurance, just unplug the negative battery terminal when you shut it off. that will keep any juice from flowing to the ECM and getting it hot, but honestly, my $.02 i really wouldnt worry about it

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 scrambler 500 4x4 started running hot, red diag light on, coolant spits out reservoir cap. Tech checked it out, found ECM module recall online. Polaris dealer required proof of quad ownership to issue free replacement module, that easy. No burn up, no electrical meltdown, just no electric coolant fan trigger thus engine overheat, presented on load hill climbing in the dunes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2005 scrambler 500 4x4 started running hot, red diag light on, coolant spits out reservoir cap. Tech checked it out, found ECM module recall online. Polaris dealer required proof of quad ownership to issue free replacement module, that easy. No burn up, no electrical meltdown, just no electric coolant fan trigger thus engine overheat, presented on load hill climbing in the dunes.
Exactly the same thing item for item on my daughters 450, I did just get this email from polaris TODAY now I ain't 7 hrs away but I do live out in the middle of the fla everglades bout 100 miles away from a dealer I can't stand but to save 300 bucks I guess I can force myself. Anyway it took about 3 days for polaris to answer my email this is what they told me..

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries regarding the 2006 Sportsman 450. We understand that you have some questions about the ECM bulletin. We have checked the VIN number that you provided and we are showing that it does have a bulletin for the ECM on the unit. Please schedule service at an authorized dealer so they will be able to complete the bulletin for you. We are also showing that you are not the registered owner of the machine. If you are the owner of the machine, please take your bill of sale and your state issued ID to an authorized dealer so they will be able to update that for you.

Again, thank you for contacting Polaris Industries.

Consumer Services
Polaris Industries, Inc
"

·
Registered
122 Posts
My 05 did not overheat but the fan came on all by itself just sitting in my garage. That may have led to a fire I dont know. Had the recall work done. You could order the part (you will have to pay for it) and install it yourself. It is a safety recall so if you want it done for free you will have to take it to a dealer. Now with fuel cost the way they are it will probably be cheaper to purchase one rather than making the long drive.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 05 did not overheat but the fan came on all by itself just sitting in my garage. That may have led to a fire I dont know. Had the recall work done. You could order the part (you will have to pay for it) and install it yourself. It is a safety recall so if you want it done for free you will have to take it to a dealer. Now with fuel cost the way they are it will probably be cheaper to purchase one rather than making the long drive.

Naw I took it in they have had it for a week as of today said I could probably get it back around the 3rd by the time the parts went back an forth apparently they have to send the old back to get the new, go figure LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts

Naw I took it in they have had it for a week as of today said I could probably get it back around the 3rd by the time the parts went back an forth apparently they have to send the old back to get the new, go figure LOL
Waiting is the sucky part. Seemed like it took them forever to get it done. Missed a couple weekends of riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts