Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going out on a limb here and against the grain of mods for more power but can a programmer be used with stock gear for better mileage. Just curious.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm probably going out on a limb here and against the grain of mods for more power but can a programmer be used with stock gear for better mileage. Just curious.

What kind of mileage are you getting now. For normal trail riding I have been 126 miles on one tank of fuel on my 550. When I pulled it on the trailer it died and was out of fuel.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually my 550 gets similar mileage to yours. My 700 is in the 17-20 range. Just curious if I could tweak for more. I am fine with the power of both my 550 and 700.

·
Registered
679 Posts
126 miles per tank! :shocked1: Man am I jealous. I'm lucky to hit 60 before the gauge starts flashing at me. I ride hard though, I'm either WOT or on the brakes driving on fire roads. Even when I on slow, low gear rock crawling trails I get crap mileage. I just carry extra fuel.

·
Registered
679 Posts
To add.....I had a programmer from HMF installed. I got worse mileage with it and my plug would foul. Dealer told me a reflash of my computer would do me no good. HMF told me to go get a wide band oxygen sensor to measure air fuel ratio. I gave up, I think my 550 is just thirsty.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can add the right programmer and set it up for mileage or power. The Dobeck AFR will do hat you are looking for. It is the newest line from them. Has a wide band O2 sensor, A/F gauge, and simple 3 button programmer. Plug and play, no splicing and fast install. Allows you to program for economy or performance with the push of a few buttons. No computer needed and half the money of a power commander V. The tuner, O2 sensor, O2 bung(no welding required) and gauge are all included at $300 plus shipping. If you want the gauge waterproofed it's and additional $25. Last I checked they are ready for the 550, but not the 850. They are closed till the 2nd and I will be checking then to get an ETA on the gen4 tuners for the 850's.

Power commander V is nearly double the money and does not include the sensor or gauge, and requires a computer to adjust. Makes it tough to fine tune in the woods. With the Dobeck you simply set it for the A/F ratio you want and it does the rest using load based sensing, not just throttle position.

·
Registered
164 Posts
126 miles per tank! :shocked1: Man am I jealous. I'm lucky to hit 60 before the gauge starts flashing at me. I ride hard though, I'm either WOT or on the brakes driving on fire roads. Even when I on slow, low gear rock crawling trails I get crap mileage. I just carry extra fuel.
Well that's another that gets crappy economy. Even riding at a pace trying to get some econ. It aint gonna happen. About 75 miles a tank is tops.since day one. if ride at a descent pace i might get 10 mpg. Everything stock on 13 550 eps Le.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
That's not good, I thought the 550s would do better, my 850 will make 17-19 mpg just riding easy on gravel roads

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In all honesty I wouldn't expect very good mileage with WOT or low gear rock climbing on anything.

I get around 25MPG on my 550 if I am putting along in the 20-25MPH range on a non technical fairly level trail. I think a few times it might have been a hair more but mileage on my 550 has been more than acceptable for my use.

·
Registered
679 Posts
In all honesty I wouldn't expect very good mileage with WOT or low gear rock climbing on anything.

I get around 25MPG on my 550 if I am putting along in the 20-25MPH range on a non technical fairly level trail. I think a few times it might have been a hair more but mileage on my 550 has been more than acceptable for my use.
I know, I'm not complaining. But after a ride with my buddies who ride honda's (we all have the same riding style) they use a 1/4 tank and I'm on empty. I've just accepted that my 550 is a gas hog.

·
Registered
679 Posts
If only I could feel the advantage of more horsepower. My buddies hondas are every bit as fast as my 550. Even the Rancher. Yes I have bigger tires, 26.5 rockers, but I have a clutch kit to get some of the grunt back. Although it rides like a Cadillac, it's a dog and gets crap mileage. I bought this wheeler for a song, (less than $4K, less than a year old w/300 miles at the time of purchase) so I'm happy with my purchase just not impressed with the performance from the motor. I yearn for an 850.....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If only I could feel the advantage of more horsepower. My buddies hondas are every bit as fast as my 550. Even the Rancher. Yes I have bigger tires, 26.5 rockers, but I have a clutch kit to get some of the grunt back. Although it rides like a Cadillac, it's a dog and gets crap mileage. I bought this wheeler for a song, (less than $4K, less than a year old w/300 miles at the time of purchase) so I'm happy with my purchase just not impressed with the performance from the motor. I yearn for an 850.....
Are they running the same size tires as well?

·
Registered
679 Posts
The rancher has stock tires and the foreman i ride with has 26" sti Black Diamonds. The rancher stays neck and neck until we get above 30mph. I think the Foreman can take my 550, but I'd never admit that to my friends. :veryhappy:

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I find that odd. Neighbors got a new foreman. And I can skin that Honduh a new one.dont care where or when. But mine is strong its just thirsty.
Got me. I ride the piss out of it. It has never left me stranded, it is just a dog.

Not that I expected much performance gains, I have an aftermarket exhaust, I cut a big azz hole in my airbox, run a k&n filter and tried a tuner. Still a dog.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts