Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter is NFG on my 08 800, I checked with my local dealer and they said their is 3 models of starters for that quad based on its MFG date. I didnt know it at the time but they quoted me, $460 CDN for a starter. I see you can get them off of eBay for around $50-60 bucks plus shipping USD. Wondering if anyone else ran into this? Id like to purchase one off of eBay but I am worried it wont work, I cant see them being any different in between the years. Thanks

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
buy a rebuild kit. It is really easy to do. Take it apart, you likely have stuck brushes, also easy to fix.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
buy a rebuild kit. It is really easy to do. Take it apart, you likely have stuck brushes, also easy to fix.
Great advise..... but I think before I even tried that, I'd take it apart and clean everything up and reassemble and test. But if it's to that point a rebuild would be a good idea. At least cleaning it would help you determine if it needed replacement or rebuild.

·
11,164 Posts
Yeah, take it apart first to see if it just needs cleaning then either rebuild or DB Electrical for a new one at the best price and I promise it'll be nowhere near the outrageous quote you got from the stealership.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
95% of starter probs are brushes..either stuck or a pigtail on brush broke...i rebuilt outboard starters..its very easy...check the commutator for pits or groves from uneven wear..take some 600-800 grit paper and clean commutator..then spray it with contact cleaner ...use a stiff tooth brush to make sure its clean between commutator bars or it can create a short..instal new brushes and it should be fine....

If a winding is gone then its shot...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, took the starter out and tried running it on the bench with a booster pack, it only arched out, never spun. Took it apart, cleaned everything down with contact cleaner and put it back together. Didn't have a rebuild kit yet, just checking everything out. Replaced it and tried starting it through the solenoid with the starter just hanging out in the breeze. Does like 1/4 turns with clicking in the solenoid. Tried bypassing the solenoid and it shorts out so something in the starter is shorting it. Windings possibly, dont have my ohm meter with me to check it out more. Thanks again for help, but looking like a new starter gonna try and find the best deal.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
In the 100 starters I have rebuilt I can honestly say that unless something blew up inside, I have never had bad windings. It is normally the brushes and or the bushings that stop it from working. Meter it to make sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts