Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to advice from this forum, I changed the electric starter out on my recently acquired 06 450 Sportsman. It put up a bit of a fight but I got it out with some judicious use of newly made up obscenities and twisting and pulling. I put a bolt in the lower position with a shorter head height which made installing the new one quite a bit easier. Now onto the wheel bearings. Will freezing the bearings be enough to allow the new ones to slip into place or will some force still be necessary? I made a bearing press for dirtbikes using heavy threaded rod, flat washers and repurposing of my impact sockets. I figured something similar would probably work for the ATV as well.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I put the bearings in the freezer, and heat the housing with a torch. Still requires some persuasion though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just replaced all the bearings on 2 sportsman's, I had them in the freezer and sprayed them with wd40 and they all went in easy breezy, but I used a 12 ton press which I bought from HF for only 112.00.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Make sure to add water resistant grease to the bearings. They dont have enough from the manufacturer to make it very far.

Sent from West 'By-God' Virginia!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts