Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1996 polaris 400 scrambler that was in pretty rough shape. I am now stuck on a problem with the electic start. When i push the electric start button - nothing happens(no clicks, no nothing). The starter turns when i hook it up to jump cables, i replaced the solenoid, and i charged the battery(2 years old). It starts fine with the pull cord. I looked at all the cables - they appeared to be alright. I cleaned all the connections off. What else could it be?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Make sure your trigger wire is hooked up right. Well I call it a trigger wire, It's the wire that tells the solenoid what to do. It will have hot power only when you press start or turn the key(which ever one you may have.) It's one wire smaller than the main cables and should plug into the solenoid

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:star:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Make sure your trigger wire is hooked up right. Well I call it a trigger wire, It's the wire that tells the solenoid what to do. It will have hot power only when you press start or turn the key(which ever one you may have.) It's one wire smaller than the main cables and should plug into the solenoid
^^^ +1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lights Also

The trigger wire is hooked up alright. I forgot to mention that my headlights are not working as well. I don't know if that can narrow it down.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Check to see if the trigger wire is getting voltage when you try to start it. If it doesn't most likely bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not getting any voltage to my trigger wire. What else do i check to make sure its my switch? Thanks again, Pat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went through all the connections and found out my electronic start was broken. Thats why both my lights and the start button where not working. Thanks for all the help. Nitro, you helped out a ton.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Good deal! Glad you got her running!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts