Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than tapping on it while hitting starter, is there any other "tricks" that I can try before I pull/remove my starter (93 TB 250 4x4).?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
not really. if it's still working you may be able to take the starter apart and give it a good cleaning.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
yeah, is the batter good, like you have done a load test on it, not just the charger says its fully charged. is the click coming from the starter or the start solenoid?

·
Registered
421 Posts
could check the solinoid. or jump the stater solinoid with a wire on the 2 large contacts, or run a wire from the pos post on the battery to the pos post on the starter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all of the replies.

- I'm pretty sure the battery is good (it is new, charged and it runs winch with ease)

- I'll have to check where click is happening, but it is definitely not coming from the switch on handle bar (don't even know if that is possible, just saying that I don't think switch is the problem).

I'll try the suggestion - I'm kind of expecting that this started is shot (its a 93). thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can starter be removed without removing clutch assembly? Been wanting to do my daughters xplorer 250,but lack all the pully pullers and such. Any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im going to guess the click is coming from the start solenoid next to the battery. the first thing to do is to get a load test done on the battery. this will check how well the battery can recover from a large amp draw (just like starting) it takes like 15 seconds to do is all. any dealer or battery shop should be able to do it. this will at least confirm or elminate the battery as the problem. a battery can still show up as fully charged on a charger and run lights and accessories because it has full volts, but no amps. it can be very misleading, a load test is the only way to find out. its always best to start with the easy simple stuff first!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i have seen post to say do a load test on the battery how many amp load can you put on a small battery before you warp the plates inside the battery? i have a automotive battery load tester but it will put a 75 amp load on the battery isn't that a all full lot for a small battery im sure the starter would not draw close to 75 amps. i don't need to check mine just wanted to know what amp load you would use to test.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
crap, i cant remember exactly. an automotive load tester is too big. we had a little load tester that we used. it covered the range of battery sizes we delt with at the shop, but i cant remember what load it would draw. might try calling a battery shop and see what they say, in the mean time i will try to think about it and see if i can remember it at all

1 - 12 of 12 Posts