Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 06 450 sportsman that quit running a couple weeks ago and i found a bad fusable link by the battery and spliced in a piece of wire temp. now the bike runs but doesnt seem like it makes much power and the fan keeps running and dash is flashing hot !!!! any ideas because i dont know what to do and dont want to go to dealer HELP :kater: :feedback:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
im not sure what problem is going on buy more then likely now the ECM is getting a false signal from the water temp saying it is way overheating, so the ECM is running the fan and probably shutting down spark to keep you from running this thing to hard and melting the cylinder down, it sounds like it is in its fail-safe mode. this model should be carbed, not EFI right?

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im not sure what problem is going on buy more then likely now the ECM is getting a false signal from the water temp saying it is way overheating, so the ECM is running the fan and probably shutting down spark to keep you from running this thing to hard and melting the cylinder down, it sounds like it is in its fail-safe mode. this model should be carbed, not EFI right?
yes sir this a carb set.up is there a way to reset the ecm on this or what else can be done to solve this problem this bike only has about 80 miles on it we bought new for the wife and she never rides thanks for any advice given

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for atleast saying something!!!!I quess thats it for all the people that are on this forum... sorry for asking for a little help from polaris people that know something,quess i was wrong :angryfire::thumbsdown:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
hey man, i do this on my own free time. i am involved in so many other threads i cant keep track of them all. you cant expect someone over the internet to be able to solve the problem for FREE without even seeing the machine.

with that said, since you have sliced in a piece of wire i have no possible way, or anybody else here, of knowing what is going on. why not just replace what was bad instead of altering the wire harness? electrical problems are a nightmare!

there is no way to reset the ECM...it is either good or its bad. and it is probably not bad. i hate to say it but i think your going to have to take this in to somebody to look at. no one else on this board i doubt will be able figure out what you did.....we are not polaris techs here...just enthusiasts

probably not what you wanted to hear, but its the truth. sorry, best of luck. curious to hear what was wrong when you find out. i bet it has something to do with the wire spliced in. you wouldnt be the first person i have seen have this similar issue as far as altering the wire harness

·
Registered
421 Posts
ill have to agree with blueline15. this is free help. not $80hr help charge min. not everyone may have had your issue. so without any one ever haveing that issue and fixing it can say what it is. no advice is better than the wrong advice. unless someone has a pretty good idea. and it is pretty tough to say what it is without looking at it in person. im guessing if you had a bad fuseable link. it whent out for a reason. and adding a (WIRE) insted of another fuse may have just costed you more money. insted of asking the question: why did it do that? adding a wire inplace of a fuse is not a temp fix. its the wrong fix. as whatever whent wrong to pop the fuse became the fuse. most likely.

good luck

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
^^agreed the question has to be what caused it to go bad in the first place. it is there for a reason, hopefully you havent fried your ECM with jolt of too much current or something. any idea what may have cause it to go bad in the first place. was the atv acting up before hand?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Blueline15 this response was not aimed at you,i am not expecting anyone to have the answer but some ideas where to start is what i asked for...you are the only one that even tried to help in any way,when this problem first occured i asked where the fuses were on this and nobody even answered. i didnt expect a total ignoring of my question,as far as you guys being techs, i never said you were ...but if i have any ideas about a quess. that is asked i will at least offer my 2 cents. or say i dont know but are you going to say no one one this board has ever replaced a fuse or knows where to find them you can feel the way you do about this post ,but its ashame that i got more response from this than my problem sorry if it offended you, was not meant to jmo Tim

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
i see where you are coming from...i am at school, i dont have an atv to look at, but you should have the front box on an '06, correct? and under the lid of the front box, there is a rubber piece that can be removed. underneath should be a radiator cap and some fuses. that is one place to look. a lot of fuses are inline because of a lack of space, so you have to follow the wire to find it.

i understand that you dont want to take it to the shop, i dont blame you, but im something is going on here if the fuse blew. the reason nobody really has any ideas is this forum is one, very very small, members wise. two, a lot of people wont give suggestions unless they have a similiar machine that had a similiar problem, and then they say what they did to fix it. that is the only way this forum will grow. my suggestion is this:

1) call or stop buy a dealer and talk with the service manager. any good shop devoted to customer service should have a service manager that will be happy to spend 10-15 minutes give you advice, tips, and tricks, and what to check for...basically what you are looking for here. if they say, "just bring it in" go to or call a new dealer until you find one willing to talk with you. electrical is hard to figure out. a lot of problems are "ghost" problems. on numerous occasions our service manager would have to pull out a wire diagram of the entire atv and call a polaris dealer help number and talk to the electrical engineers who designed the machines to figure out problems. it is super complicated usually. mechanical stuff i can normally figure out, electrical problems over the internet, i havent a clue where to tell you to start really.

2)it good to hear that you are interested in doing as much of your own work as possible. cant say i blame you. with that, i think it would be in your best interest to pick up a service manual. the OEM one is about $60-$70 but you can find aftermarket manuals like a clymer or haynes and they do just the same. you get diagrams, pictures, troubleshooting help, and its all in plain english. i have supplied links to both manual books.

Haynes Manual
Clymer Manual

i do hope that you talk to a dealer and see what they say. and please keep this thread updated if you do get this figured all out, so othe people will learn from this problem, decide to sign up here, share their problems, ect....and the forum will continue to grow and become more informative as time goes on.

i do have a personal interest in this. so if you need to get my attention either post up here or PM me. when you responded, this thread show up bold and on top of the list when i clicked active topics, thats why you got a response from me....before this thread was buried on the list of threads.

good luck....hope to hear some good news soon. im around if i can help at all

·
Registered
50 Posts
My suggestion is to get the service manual in pdf file on-line, this will give you a proper guide as to where everything is and how it works. This weekend I down loaded a 2002 and 2005 polaris manual for my 700 and 800 sportsmans, cost me $5.50 each and with my proof of purchase (pay for the download) staples printed and bound them both for $40.( you do not have to print them its just cleaner and safer than taking the computer outside)

Now, my experience as an auto mechanic (not an ATV mechanic) has taught me that most (90+%) of electrical problems trace back to poor grounding, so I suggest that you start by checking every ground wire on the quad, remove clean and re-attach every ground wire that attaches to the chassis and or battery. Once this is done use the manual to identify what amp-age fusible link wire you require, go to the automotive store and buy a length and some self sealing heat shrink tubing. Do a temp repair on the circuit (twist in a length fusible link do not solder it) then test the circuit, start the quad turn on accessories etc, one at a time, until either the link blows again or not, if it does not blow it was a grounding issue, if it does blow you have narrowed the possibilities, replace what ever accessory caused the link to blow.

When you have found and repaired the problem its time to finish repairing the fusible link, a fusible link is heat sensitive and a quad is subject to large amounts of moisture, a link should be clamped in where possible but can be soldered in when moisture is a concern, Before you solder the harness put 4-6 inches of self sealing heat shrink in place. Now use 4 inches of link wire, strip 1 inch of shielding from each end, twist half an inch into the wiring harness the other half inch is for vise grips (to use as a heat sink), with the vise grips in place so they protect the link from the heat, solder the link in. Then slide the heat shrink tubing over the link and shrink it. Done

Regards
James

·
Registered
5 Posts
my problem sounds like your. I also lost all power and found a broken wire that comes from the solenoid next to the battery. It's the one that has 2 inline fuses, i also spliced it for now just to see if it would start but no luck there. I work 12hrs on graveyard and haven't had a chance to work on my bike. I have a 05 sportsman 500 HO and Im also looking for a wire diagram. Its my first bike and i also try to do my own work. I probably wont get to work on it any time soon but if i do and find the problem I'll post it on here. Good luck buddy and thank guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts