Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here. Looking for a bit of help please. ..
So I picked up a 2001 Polaris sportsman 400 that was ran without oil after a oil change and had a bad engine. I also picked up a crashed 2002 Polaris 500 sportsman. I swapped the 2002 500 engine complete (stator untouched, ect.)
The wiring was a bit different so I had to switch the 2002 cdi box and voltage regular into the 2001.
Completed. Fired it up. Had low beam lights on and was filling the coolant. Low beams went out. They are burned out. Everything else worked perfect. New battery.
Drove for a couple days everything great all lights except lows worked. Speedo worked. 4x4 perfect. Handwarmers work perfect.
Now my speedometer is reading and fluctuating irradically anytime the key is on or it is running. Also the speedo gets fairly dim when I use the hamdwarmers. Figured that is normal.. Is this problem pointing towards my voltage regulator that it blew the lows out? I've use the high beam a lot and no problem so far. Sorry for such a long post. At help appreciated. Maybe someone can tell me what my battery volts should be reading with a volt meter when running? Thanks
Jimmy

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
When running att 2000 or so rpm should read13.5 to 14.5 volts, not over 15 , if over charging probably voltage reg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I will check after work today, thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked battery volts and im getting around 13.7. So im good there. Any udea why my speedometer is all twitchy?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
13.7 is a little low it should, in theory, hold pretty close to 14.4 Probably the voltage regulator portion of your regulator/rectifier pack isn't happy.

Did you test it at higher RPM? Alternators are funny animals. A failing regulator or rectifier diodes can provide voltages that vary with engine RPM. I've seen this with automobile alternators where the voltage rises enough to cause problems but it's not out-of-control yet.

The stator is shown in the schematics as a Y wound permanent magnet alternator with remote rectifier diodes and regulator (the regulator pack).
The CDI pickup coil is incorporated into the stator assembly for size and neat packaging.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was idle i shouldave tested it at different engine rpms. Rode for a coyple hours last night with no problems minus the speedo saying in doing 20-50 mph while im buried up to the seat

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Speedo could just be a noisy hall effect pickup. Or it could be AC escaping through a leaky diode in the regulator pak. My vote is the regulator pak because of the unexplained bulb blowouts.
Try unplugging the three wire metripak plug on the back of the speed head. If the needle settles down try swapping the speed sensor.
The easy way to diagnose AC ripple from bad diodes is to use an oscilloscope. There are probably others.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Regulator pack would be those black plastic sealed things under the "hood" by the coil ? How could i know if they are bad? The crashed 2002 i bought the previous owner said he replaced all of them but they are still on my parts machine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts