Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

im having electrical problems with my 04 Trail boss 330

the battery voltage drops dramaticaly when RPM rises...... resulting in the battery not charging.

idle volt: 14.5v

when revving: ca 9v

and lately the ATV has started backfiring like crazy...

could this be a faulty CDI box?

any help is greatly appreciated.

regards
K.Jensen

·
Registered
58 Posts
hi.

im having electrical problems with my 04 Trail boss 330

the battery voltage drops dramaticaly when RPM rises...... resulting in the battery not charging.

idle volt: 14.5v

when revving: ca 9v

and lately the ATV has started backfiring like crazy...

could this be a faulty CDI box?

any help is greatly appreciated.

regards
K.Jensen

what is your battery voltage with the bike off and compare that to your idle ? I would expect the bike to miss and stumble during reving/riding due to not sufficiant voltage to power the ignition system. I would lean more to check the charging system first may have a bad stator/ and or voltage regulator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply.

just measured 9.6v on the battery now when the atv is turned off...

previous test show that after ca 30min the battery voltage rises to around 12v after just leaving the atv in idle.. but when i give it some throttle the voltage drops down again..

i could not find a voltage regulator, so i am guessing it is in the CDI?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery to me or its not being charged right from the get go may have killed it. Take battery out and charge if on a bench charger, fully charged should be 13.6 volts when just removed off the charger, maybe trickle down to 13 sitting for a bit but if it falls below 12.8 quickly battery not good. When in the quad and idling no lights on should be around 14 volts, 14.5-15 when reved up if charging correctly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not necessarily, something is dragging the power down, 9 volts on the coil probably would not make it a happy camper and weak to no spark leads to no power and backfiring becasue the system starts gettnig loaded up with fuel when the spark is not happening correctly. What does it do if you start it up and discoonect the battery, same symptom? Does the voltage still change with no battery hooked up or float high at 14.5? I suggested checking out the battery as it is the easyest thing to start with but the voltage dropping to 9v when reved sounds like a possible stator problem but even if stator cut out when reved for some reason the battery if good, charged, and has good capacity not sulfated shoud still keep the voltage up for a while.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Don't run it without a battery, will blow the light bulbs, make sure you have a good battery in it first, then check voltage when at idle and revved up a little, should show 13.5 to 14.5 when revved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts