Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the board but am hoping for some advice. I had the pull rope break on my '01 sportsman 400. The starter has not worked since I bought it. I thought this was the perfect time to replace it. I replaced it and the drive and am not getting volts to the starter. The battery reads 12.4 and I have even tried to jump boost start it in case the battery was just reading charged and was not. I took the positive cable off the battery and hooked the positive to my truck via jumper cables, and still no voltage to the starter. Just wondering if it loosing voltage in the solenoid somehow.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Maybe I mis-read, but did you try jumping the solenoid? You can usually jump the solenoid and that will give you a direct shot to the starter. Couple of things from there...... If you jump it and it turns over then 1 - the solenoid could be bad OR the starter switch on the bars could be bad. Those are kinda quarky and its just not sending signal to the solenoid. If you jump the solenoid and there is nothing, then its a little simpler. Either your loosing juice in the positive lead to the starter motor or the motor is bad. Hope it helps!

·
Banned
7 Posts
Oh yeah... another thing is that your starter motor might not be grounded. If you jumped it and got nothing then.... you have a connection issue. I know the starter motors are a pain to get out too. Did you get any sparks when you jumped it? You might need to test the motor directly to make sure it works. Thats really all I have for you! Sorry, hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
And welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did get a spark, I will see if I can get the starter to turn to verify it is good. It should be as it is brand new.

If it checks out OK, it is a connection issue around the solenoid???

·
Banned
7 Posts
Well, if the starter motor is good then you better get out your test light. You are going to need to make sure you have juice going into the solenoid and coming out when the start button is depressed. If all of that works ( you have juice to solenoid, coming out of solenoid and the starter motor turns over) then its either the positive lead to the motor or a ground issue. Not really much else it could be!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am stumped. I tried again to jump the solenoid and the entire dash panel goes out. I am getting 12v to the solenoid, but nothing out of it. I forgot to mention this yesterday!!!

Any new advice would be appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts