Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm attempting to install a 3,500 viper elite winch on my 2013 Polaris Sportsman 550. Im dumb founded about where to "KEY TO POWER" everyone says the three accessory plugs you can plug into the orange and white one. Well just doing a random check I used voltage meter and neither the orang and white wires were hot with the key on. But the Red and grey one was hot with he key off and on. HELP!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The red is constantly hot, so if I were to run the "wireless remote" to it wouldn't it constantly be using volts as a radio signal?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could I join the wireless remote "power to key" and the rocker switch "power to key" on that same red accessory wire?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don 't wire it on a constant hot wire. You or someone
could hit the button and and burn up motor or damage fairlead, etc. Could hook
onto 12v accessory plug too.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Test the wires in the headlight pod. Should be 2 orange and a red in there. Pretty sure my red was switched too, not just the oranges. I'll be tearing into it again on Sunday and can double check if needed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do you mean switched? I'm getting absolutely no power to either of the orange wires only the red wire which is constantly hot...

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
What do you mean switched? I'm getting absolutely no power to either of the orange wires only the red wire which is constantly hot...
The two orange wires are switched and go hot when the key is turned on. Either of them is where you want to wire the rocker switch for the winch. Don't wire it to a constant on. If you do that anyone can walk up to your atv and engage the winch, whether you're around or not. It's a security thing

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Could I join the wireless remote "power to key" and the rocker switch "power to key" on that same red accessory wire?
I would say you can probably do that since you will never be using both at the same time, but you want them on one of the power to key wires, not a constant on. If you use a constant on for the wireless remote switch you are going to run your battery down within a few days, since the remote will always be searching for a radio signal

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vandal, I used a voltage checker on the two orange wires, neither of them showed any voltage with the key on. While the red wire read 12.56 when key is off and in the on position. Once cranked the red wire red 14 something's. But neither orange wires showed any volts.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Vandal, I used a voltage checker on the two orange wires, neither of them showed any voltage with the key on. While the red wire read 12.56 when key is off and in the on position. Once cranked the red wire red 14 something's. But neither orange wires showed any volts.
Grantcar, I'm just telling you that those two orange wires should be hot with the key on. If they're not then find another source of Keyed power like the acc plug. You might have to cut and splice the wires if you use the acc plug. One last thing, are you sure you are making contact when testing the orange wires, They have a cover over the ends so the probe from the tester must go inside the cover to make contact. I know this sounds like a dumb question but stranger things have happened

·
Registered
128 Posts
I used one of the two orange wires that Vandal is referring to. They had power only with the key on, I used this for my wireless winch control. Double check that you have a good ground when you check the voltage.

Cheers,
Lesn8r

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Double check that you have a good ground when you check the voltage.

Cheers,
Lesn8r
Good tip.. I tested ground using negative terminal on battery.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts