Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am starting my audio tube build. the set up I have is a 3 speaker system, the speakers are 100w rms, so I would like an amp that can push 100w per channel, since 3 channel amps arent a thing, I need a 4 channel amp. I found a 520 watt amp that will fit in the tube, would be perfect. how many watts can I pull from the cigarette lighter outlet on my quad? it is 10 amp I believe. its a 07 sportsman 800. any insite would be helpful. if that amp wont work I have seen amps around 300w work.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
In theory:

10amps x 12 volts = 120 watts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be worth it to then run a power source strait from the battery? I would have to figure out some sort of plug to the tube tho...

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That is pretty much your only option, and I'm not sure what your machine puts out for power but my 500 puts out a pathetic 200ish watts.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ben10, I built a tube with 3 speakers as well. I used the Pyle PLMRMP1B, 400watt, 2 channel amp to power the 3 speakers and I think it works great. For the middle speaker run the positive from the positive on one of the side speakers and the negative from the other side. If you want to run a power source direct to the battery you can get one of the plugs that a battery tender uses. Pretty sure you can pick one of them up at any auto part store.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea rich. I think I may just do that. I want a quality amp and quality sound not just quantity. The sound stream gives me the power to run the right amount of speakers and more speakers enable me to lower the volume for clarity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What speakers did you go with? This was my trial one with one of these so I didn't want to get too crazy until I made sure it was going to survive the rides.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going with polk audio mm651 speakers. Found a single one on ebay to go with a set I bought. They are supposed to be some of the best marine speakers you can buy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was looking at those also but at the time couldn't find the single. Post up some pics once you have it finished, sounds like it's going to rock!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm pretty excited about it. Would it be better to run a single channel amp 650w to all three speakers in one run or a 4 channel amp 520w one channel to each speaker and just leave the other channel empty?

sent from a locomotive driving ass hole.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would do the 4 channel and just use the 3 channels. You could run single channel but assuming those speakers are 4 ohm the amp will be at 1.3 ohms. So the amp has to be stable at 1 ohm loads but still runs the chance of overheating.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I don't understand all of the ohm stuff... it confuses the hell out of me. Well I guess the 520w amp will work regardless. It should push a lot of power to the speakers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I believe the speakers are 2 ohm so it should be 130w per channel. Those are never accurate so I'll assume it's around 100w. That will be perfect.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts