Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the electric choke work? I understand the whole plunger thing, it's just like any manual choke, what gives it a signal to come on and go off?

Also I am getting an average of 12 volts AC at the plug for the lights (I don't have the lights). Is it supposed to be AC voltage?

And I'm getting around 5 to 7 volts DC at the battery terminals, is this correct?

I just sorted through the wiring and if anything it starts easier, I guess because it's getting voltage to the choke. If it's not working right I'm just going to take it back off and run only whats needed for the ignition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nevermind. I took the wiring off except for the ignition.
I'm ditching the stock airbox also since it's a pos. So I'm going to have to get a clamp on filter, bigger main jet, then figure out how to start it with no functional choke. :aargh4:

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Your going the wrong way about it. On a 90cc the choke is manual. First check the linkage going to the choke and make sure it is correct. Once it has warmed up adjust the air mixture screw to where it idles good and sounds correct. To lean will make popping sounds out of the exhaust, richen it up to much and it will want to cut off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your going the wrong way about it. On a 90cc the choke is manual. First check the linkage going to the choke and make sure it is correct. Once it has warmed up adjust the air mixture screw to where it idles good and sounds correct. To lean will make popping sounds out of the exhaust, richen it up to much and it will want to cut off.
No I'm not going the wrong way. A black solenoid with electrical wires coming out of it on the carburetor is not a manual choke.
And when I zip tied the airbox to the carb it would somewhat run. I had to tie the two together because the rubber boot is shrunk and hard as a rock.

Sorry if I sound mad because I just came in from working on it. and I am mad.

So far I bought two jets that I can't use ($20 wasted) I ended up getting a k&n type filter for it, turned the air screw in 1/2, raised the needle(by lowering the clip) drilled the stock main jet up a few times. It's now at 1.16mm and it runs ok. I don't know why everything I've searched hours for say the stock main jet should be 82.5 and the pilot 25. Whats in my carb was a 71 main and 17.5 pilot. Checked with pin gauges as well as whats stamped on them.

I hate this thing, who invented the seat mounting, and all the plastics mounting for that matter, it's falling apart as I ride it.
:aargh4::aargh4:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I found out it has an AM3 carb on it which is for the 50cc. The 90 is supposed to have the AM7. Not a problem I already ordered a good used one because one of my float pin towers is cracked. Not sure if the am3 is smaller or just calibrated differently, it actually runs ok now. I'm sure no one knows if the carb bodies are different. I've searched enough to feel that way.

Trying to eliminate any other lean conditions I also replaced the left side crank seal. Why the left only? It was $3.94 delivered, OEM part. Can't find the right side anywhere but a dealer and it's going to cost around $18 with shipping.

Not sure if it was leaking but there was a lot of dirt behind it.

Also found out what the weird noise was on the left side. The white plastic starter one way clutch was broken, still worked, but since I took the electrical off I left this stuff out.

Heres the pos right here. Looks pretty good considering what it looked like a week ago when I paid $40 for it.

Why do I think it's a pos? I always wanted a polaris since 1986. I know the 90's are made in taiwan, but I have this sitting nearby, 16 years older and in way better condition, way better build quality.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No worries. I didnt know what year machine you had so just made an educated guess trying to help. Its probably a pos because the previous owner didnt know how to maintain it, or his mechanic was a dumb a$$. I have owned both the polaris 90 and the honda 70 ATC. The kids these days are really lucky to have a real suspension bike with good shocks on all four corners. That honda 70 ATC was alot of fun for me as a kid but I still have scarse on my body from that thing and im 35 yrs old. No suspension and three wheels will make a man out of boy really quick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know what you mean, had a 110 when I was younger. I'm 41 now and have no idea why I'm messing with this small stuff. Notice the CR500 seat cover on the sportsman? It didn't make it any faster. :shocked1:
Riding the 500 around makes these things feel super slow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts