Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 06 Sportsman 500 H.O. Took it out this weekend and it was running great. Outside temp was around 85. We were riding trails with no problems. We got down to the dried river bed and were riding in sand about 2 inches deep. My quad started stalling. It would quit running for about 3 or 4 minutes then fire up again and run for about a minute then quit again. Limped it back to the trailer and brought it home. Fired it up the next day and no problem. Any answers to what is happening?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2009 850 xp efi and have a hard time keeping it running right after starting. Lots of fuel smell in exhaust/minor colored exhaust also. Seems to run fine, not great after playing with throttle and warming up. Thank you

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I have a 2009 850 xp efi and have a hard time keeping it running right after starting. Lots of fuel smell in exhaust/minor colored exhaust also. Seems to run fine, not great after playing with throttle and warming up. Thank you
Sounds like it is running rich. Is your air filter clean?

·
Registered
58 Posts
My XP 550 has gotten very hard to start in this cold weather. Pops and backfires. I have to feather the throttle to get it to start. Takes awhile. Any ideas on how to fix? The plug is newer (3 hrs) and was black when I pulled it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fuel pump won't shut off-I'm not sure if this is where I m supposed to be asking the

I'm not sure if this is where I m supposed to be asking the question, but here goes - ak stew my 700 sportsman(2005) I have a constant 12 volts at the fuel pump with the key out of the machine - Got any ideas??

·
Registered
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm not sure if this is where I m supposed to be asking the question, but here goes - ak stew my 700 sportsman(2005) I have a constant 12 volts at the fuel pump with the key out of the machine - Got any ideas??
Sounds like it may be a relay. 1" cubes located along the stem under the "hood." Remove and clean the contacts. Next, have them tested at an automotive electrical (not electronics) shop if cleaning doesn't work. Bad ignition switch, bad ECU.

Stew

·
Registered
13 Posts
AKStew, Thank You! I know your Electronic fuel injection 101 thread is about 3 years old but it is GREAT! You've given me enough information to begin to troubleshoot my 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI. I made a print out of all the information you provided that is relevant to my Sportsman 500 H.O. EFI. I was just staring with connectors when I read your 80% statement. The problem I have is cutting out and backfiring through the exhaust. Sometimes it is all I can do to keep it moving at walking speed by pumping the throttle.
I have a service manual (electronic copy) for a 2008 Sportsman 500 EFI but haven't found one for a 2006. I'm hoping the information on the sensors is close enough. There are many free ones offered but still can't find one for my 2006 Sportsman 500 HO EFI. If you know where to find one ... THANKS! Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
Error code 51

Hello, all!
Where would you suggest to start troubleshooting code "51"?
- open or shorted injector, cylinder 1.

And, does anyone know what code "25" is? It's not in my book.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fuel Filter – Located behind the frame member that is just aft of the radiator cap. A cylinder about 4 inches long and 2 inches in diameter with quick-disconnect receptacles on each end. Fuel passes through the 10-micron element inside.
Does anyone know what the O.D. of the quick disconnect tubes are on a Polaris fuel filter?

This would be Polaris part number 2520464 such as on ebay HERE

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's some great info AKStew especially for a "newbie" like me...except I didn't see anything on the fuel gauge (see my post earlier) This forum is awesome and thanks in advance for any insight you may have.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts