Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone - new to the forum, and my first posting is an issue I have.

I just purchased a 2000 Polaris Xplorer 400. The lady said the battery was dead, and indeed it is. She stated the reason the lights, instrument panel, electric start etc didn't work was due to the the dead battery. I can start it manually and it runs fine, and I can kill the motor with the stop run switch, but none of the electronics work at all...

I put a brand new battery in, and no change....no instruments, no idiot lights, no lights, no electric start....nothing...

Any suggestions on what to look for? What to do?

Thanks !

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Did you check to see if the bulbs were bad? If all the bulbs are bad that tells me somebody tried starting the machine with out the battery hooked up or the voltage regulator is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bad bulbs

I'm sure it's been started w/o the battery installed and with a bad battery. I haven't checked the bulbs, would all of them be out all at once? Does starting the atv w/o a battery, or without a good battery cause all the bulbs to blow?

I'll go check the bulbs now......

Thanks for the tip.

The electric start doesn't work either, chance the relay switch went out at same time?

Thx

·
Registered
527 Posts
The battery is the main ground. If the machine is started with the battery removed you can fry all your lights and sometimes other electrical components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, bulbs seem fine. I replaced the brake light bulb, and put in a new starter relay switch..no change. Electric start doesn't work from the handlebars, no lights, no instruments, no brake light or tail light.....

Any other ideas before I take it in? if I cross the relay switch stubs, the starter will start the motor..

also put a new battery in, fully charged.....

Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I found the problem last night - it was the ignition switch !!!! Previous owner had it taped together, must've come undone !!

Thanks for the tip to look there !!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i have a similar problem but when i hook up the batt charger all lights work fine but when the bike is running with out the batt charger on it no lights

1 - 11 of 11 Posts