Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have Stage 3 on most of my machines and yes - they're expensive, but worth it. They do seem to leak (at least on my Kawasaki) nitrogen. Found my Kawi at 25psi, when it needed to be at 125psi.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I’ve done quite a bit of research on suspension recently.
Some local guys who race competitively all claim the Fox RC2’s are def the way to go!
Seems there are quite a few out there with issues running their Elkas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just installed stage 3s on my baby.

Balls deep in installing the winch,plow,warmers...etc. So haven't had time to ride it, review to come...

random pics

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Mine are new, sent back for a revalve, still suck. Spendy for worse performance than stock. The fronts only have 1.5 inch of shaft showing BEFORE i get on it. I would guess they have less than 1 inch of travel, so not sure how that is supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
After having Elka stage3s on mine for the past year. I am thinking they weren't worth the money. Mine seem to be dialed in but it was hard to get them there. Both rears have oil leaks currently and need a rebuild. Not sure the cost of that. They are better than stock BUT would like to try something with a rebound adjustment. Can't afford a set of stage 4 or 5s.:sad

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
After having Elka stage3s on mine for the past year. I am thinking they weren't worth the money. Mine seem to be dialed in but it was hard to get them there. Both rears have oil leaks currently and need a rebuild. Not sure the cost of that. They are better than stock BUT would like to try something with a rebound adjustment. Can't afford a set of stage 4 or 5s.:sad
you could try some lightly used scrambler fox podium X shocks if you found a good used set ? I see them once in a while for sale.
i've got 2500 miles on mine, no leaks yet .

Reactions: jjuelmen

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thought the fox shocks on my scrambler 1000 were pretty decent...thought the fronts were alittle stiff for slower woods Riding...but better when riding hard and fast

·
Registered
750 Posts
yes...stage 3s. I cranked up the preload today to get some more shaft showing...now have about 3 inches to work with. Front end is a little like a pogo stick, but better than it was.

·
Premium Member
10,247 Posts
Unfortunately I've heard more and more complaints about Elka. I guess at one point they were a solid product. Now I think they have ventured beyond a niche market and gone beyond the bounds of quality control. Most if not all the complaints I've heard of are from stage 3 users. Maybe the 4+5's are made better, idk!!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
I had stage 1 on my 850, have a couple stage 1 on the rear of the Touring and a full set of stage 2 on my General. Couldn't be happier and zero complaints or issues. You need to know what you are doing, or get some assistance, when adjusting them. Setting them up wrong will make them seem like junk. Do it right and you will love them. Best shock out there for the money IMO.

Attachments

Reactions: jjuelmen

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have never had an leaks on any of mine thankfully and I have had the older series and the new, all with resis...but the older I get the less demanding I am. I just want them to ride plush and thus far that is a elusive challenge. Bob, when you have them setup "correctly" on an ATV, how much shaft do you typically have showing?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great thread so far. Considering going from a set of the fox shocks with high lifter springs to either a stage 3 or 4 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,043 Posts
I have never had an leaks on any of mine thankfully and I have had the older series and the new, all with resis...but the older I get the less demanding I am. I just want them to ride plush and thus far that is a elusive challenge. Bob, when you have them setup "correctly" on an ATV, how much shaft do you typically have showing?
That is going to vary on every machine and shock, depending on the shock/spring combination, the specs they were built to and the load sitting on them. If your shock has a total of 8" of travel (or the shaft is 8" long), you would have no more than 3" of shaft showing when the SAG is properly adjusted. I think too many people don't understand how shocks/springs work, and really mess up their performance by dialing in way to much preload in an effort to gain ride height.

https://utvactionmag.com/what-you-dont-know-about-suspension/

·
Registered
750 Posts
Thanks Bob...I am sitting right at 3 inches now with 2 inch of preload dialed in. Darren said he would rather see me at 1 inch of preload so I might back it off a bit. That will get me less travel but also should make it less "springy".

I wonder if the Fox Shocks would just be better overall...anyone have these?

https://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=atv&t=shocks&p=1138

I will mention that even after the revalve I have to keep the clickers at 0 and that is still not soft enough...so the 16 position clicker is of no use to me. I would advise folks when they order to lower your weight by 50lbs if you are looking for a plush ride. I think they build everything for hard hitting racing type riding.

Edit...I heard back from Darren at ishock he sells both Fox and the Elkas...he says the stage 3 are much better. So I guess now I am just looking for someone who can do a good job of revalving them for me so I can use the full range of adjustment.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Follow up...

Does anyone have stage 3s setup on a sportsman of any kind that they are happy with? Please advise specifics of ride height front and rear, how much shaft is showing, how much preload you had to dial in etc.

I read on the can am form elka sets the valving and springs hard from the factory to prevent any warranty claims.

·
Registered
2018 Sportsman XP 1000 LE Lava Orange
22 Posts
I am ordering a set of Fox RC2s soon and will post a review. I just run Fox on all my rigs including my trucks.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin
1 - 20 of 25 Posts