Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Let us know on the FOX RC2....mine are definitely better than stock, but travel is only a couple inches and ride height is low. Now I should qualify....I put the stock shocks back on over the weekend and the truth is that polaris lies on their specs right from the factory. They quote 11.5 inch clearance but in reality it is 9.75 with the springs set to soft....11.75 must be with them all cranked to max. Elka settle in at 8 inches....Polaris claim 9 inches of travel front, 10 rear. That might be with the shocks REMOVED...but once you install the shocks you are looking at 3-4 inches max.

I will say Darren and Elka have been responsive. I am just bought another set of springs to get some additional support on the rear for my second passenger. Will see how that works out when they get here.

Premium Member
So I'm going to jump in on here cause I have the Fox Podium 1.5 RC2s on my 1000. I've never had adjustable suspension like this and so I'm learning. So they have high and low speed adjustment, rebound, and the spring compression adjustments for your ride height. Mine are dual rate so each shock has 2 springs. So far I have 750 miles on them. I would say at about the 500 mile point the springs started to soften and I was getting a little body roll. Also on the spring HMT trip I had a few bottom out situations. So even though the suspension has softened up a bit it is plush I've the rocks, so a give and take there. I have adjusted the high speed clicker 5/8 turn in the rear and 1/2 turn in the front. Hoping that will help cure some of the bottoming out I experienced in WV over the spring. I'll report back in a few weeks upon my return from our fall Hatfield & McCoy trip 馃榿.

Reactions: 98whitelightnin

Registered
I will mention that I have learned that the adjustment clicker on the stage 3s adjusts everything...low/high/rebound in the same knob.

I have had them revalved 2x trying to get "soft and plush" over the chatter bumps. Finally learned that when they revalve it softens up the fast hard hits A LOT (currently at 50% of "normal" valving they tell me) but doesn't do anything for the chatter/rough stuff that comprises 90% of the riding. Tried going to softer springs to help with that as well. All that does is lower the ride height and reduce the travel.

I have finally come to the conclusion that what my friend Doug at ATVTV told me years ago is the truth; "elka does racing shocks for big hit applications. They do a great job at that, but they simply don't know how to do a soft plush ride for trails".

If you go to his site, you will see numerous reviews for Elkas on a variety of machines, so I think he has a pretty good idea of what they were all about.

He then worked with "Works Shocks" (now out of business) to develop the "ATVTV valving package" for their resi shocks. With them now gone, I am not sure who might be able to provide that kind of product.

With all that is going on in the country now, prudence dictates one no longer spend vast sums of money on hobbies until we see where/if things ever return to normal, so I will get the heavier springs installed and live with it.

I bought a set of slightly used Elka stage 3s a few months ago from a guy with my same machine (2018 1k) and about my same weight (190). I think he was just running them as set up from the factory. I was initially unimpressed with the settings and after a couple of trial runs in my usual terrain, I went up on the spring preload and softened the dampening and they are pretty sweet now as compared to OEM. I haven't really played with them anymore since that initial setting but put about 600 miles on them in the Rockies and a few more hundred around here and like just where it is for now. When we start doing long range stuff while carrying a lot of gear this fall during camping and hunting season, I'll probably stiffen it up a little to handle the extra load.
I'm a satisfied customer at least for now lol.

Registered
I've had the stage 4 Elkas for about 5 years now with the lone issue being a leaking seal that was taken care of under warranty. They were setup pretty good from the factory but it took a month or so of riding before I got them dialed in for my riding style. I looked at the Fox RC2 shocks but with my size and being they don't come setup for your weight and riding style I would have had to spend more money on valving and springs to get them right. I was a little unimpressed with the single rate springs in the front but after talking with Elka they assured me that with my size and aggressive riding style a single rate was the best setup to keep me from bottoming out on jumps.

The way mine are setup they are smooth over the rough stuff and handle the big hits perfect without bottoming out. I do have the older style stage 4s though. They have every setting the current stage 5s have with the steel body instead of aluminum. If you want to be able to handle both fast and slow riding while having the best ride possible you will need separate high and low speed compression settings.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts