Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I'm looking to buy a 8.5x20 trailer to haul two Yamaha Kodiak 350s, a Can-Am 650 and a Polaris 850 Sportsman. I want an enclosed car hauler type trailer with a fold down gate and side door. I'll be pulling it for the time being with a 1/2 Chevy 5.3L 2WD crew. I'm gonna put Monroe air shocks in the rear and run a weight distributing hitch to help the ride.

I live in Northwest Houston.

What are some good local companies to look at?
Good brands?
Bad companies?
Bad brands?

Thanks,
Mike
Bat Sh*t Crazy Boggers

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you go all aluminium you will have no problem towing that with the truck you have. Best brands seem to be aluma, triton, featherlite, and legend from what I've been researching the lat few months. I'm leaning toward a legend. Less expensive than the bigger name brand, but high quality build and great warranty. Empty that trailer weighs about 3200lbs from them.have dual 3500 torsion axles so payload would be 3800. Will cover 4 machines and gear easily at that. But keep in mind that mud is heavy on the way home.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
personally if I were in your area, I'd forgo the enclosed trailer. You're not dealing with bad weather to keep gear and stuff dry, and the extra enclosure material just cuts down on the payload. Also, the body adds a lot of drag and is a sail in high winds. Not to mention loading quads is SO much easier if you can side load and unload them. Also the non-enclosed trailers are cheaper.

Just my opinion, but enclosed trailers are best for mobile workshops, aka construction, welding, etc., type work. otherwise they cause more issues than they remedy.

·
Premium Member
13,030 Posts
I have been debating the two types of trailers (enclosed or open). I have narrowed it down to an all aluminum car hauler but can't decide witch one to go with. Enclosed pros, protection from the elements (u and ur ride), not having to load up all ur gear when it's ride time, doubles as storage for ur bike(s), can be used as or converted into sleeping quarters, on extended trips all ur gear and ride are securely locked away from would be criminals. Open pros, less expensive, for the floor area u can fit more bikes, Easier loading and unloading, can be used to carry a wider variety of materials.

Chk out ATC, Aluma, feather lite, triton, stealth, mission.

Depending on the enclosed trailer design they pull better then loaded open trailers. The enclosed trailer needs to be v-nosed with at least 3 feet of nose.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good advice BP, thanks.

Hammer- You ever been in Texas in July/August? lol. On the hotest day of the year next summer, get in your truck and turn the heat on full blast, then try to take a nap. Hell, you'll even have a breeze!!! I'll be putting at least one A/C unit on it. It will triple as transportation, storage and sleeping quarters.

Thanks for the input though.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Good advice BP, thanks.

Hammer- You ever been in Texas in July/August? lol. On the hotest day of the year next summer, get in your truck and turn the heat on full blast, then try to take a nap. Hell, you'll even have a breeze!!! I'll be putting at least one A/C unit on it. It will triple as transportation, storage and sleeping quarters.

Thanks for the input though.
hey man, to each their own, that's why I classified my comments as "personally" and "just my opinion" you know what they say about opinions. They're like @$$holes, Everyone has one, and they all stick.

I like an open trailer for ATV's, the next guy might not. it's your money, spend it on what you want. and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Featherlite builds an awesome trailer. I used one for years when racing sports cars. Bought one here at Golden Gait Trailers....customized with fold down bunks...roof air and built in tool chest, satellite dish on the roof, flat panel and micro-fridge all powered by a built in Onan genset. Awesome transporter as well as bunkhouse!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.