Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told me Last spring that they sold 10 value line sportsman to every 1 xp line. Now that they have come out with the 570 in the value line this could be the end for the XPs. Over priced and under built, words spoken by the service manager himself. Time for polaris to rethink their xp line. JMTCW:veryhappy:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Hmm interesting thought.

I can't see them ditching the XP line. But I could see them doing a bit revamp for next year. Maybe ditching the 850 for the 900. And I think with the 570 out now, the 550 will be on the chopping block. I mean, I would take the 570 over the 550 in a heartbeat. I could see then giving the 800 the boot also.

Still though, the Value lines are just that VALUE. They are not premium lines, in looks or performance. So if Polaris ditched the XPs they would no longer be running against the larger fancier machines.

If I did it all over again, I would probably have kept my 400ho and just bought a 570, rather thean buying the 850. I was quite happy with my VL machines. (aside from brute power)

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I my self and 1 other guy I know spent 20+ k on our 2 XP's.. If Polaris only offered the value line, We would both own Can-ams. The XP is a sportier feeling,more refined looking bike then the value line and draws customers from other Brands IMO.

Where I live they had trouble keeping the XP's in stock, My 550 camo was the only one around for a 100 km, my buddy's 850 orange madness was special order because they could not keep them on the floor.

Maybe different markets have different opinions as to what they want, and what there willing to spend based on the economy they live in???

As a 550 owner the 570 would not get my business (its still a value bike with value looks)..I agree the 550 is probably on the way out, but a lot of XP owners bought XP's because what it offers and the way it looks. If my ONLY choice was a value bike or the 850 I would choose the 850 or move on to a brand like Can-am that offers more choices.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This is true. When I bought my 850, it was 1 of 2 they had left. I would say they sell more 850's than any other machine at my dealer.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I can see the 550 going away, as I don't know why anyone would buy a 550 over a 570. However, I don't see the 850 going anywhere soon, unless Polaris puts a 900 or bigger in it. I really don't see any sense in that as the 850 already has more engine in it than 99% of riders can handle, but I know there are those who just "have" to have the biggest numbers out there. I think the 850 is just about perfect in terms of usable, manageable power without going overboard.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I see the 550 going, and the 850 getting an update. The 900 from the RZR Wont fit, unless they did a major chassis redesign.

Who knows, maybe there is a new Prostar on the way?

Maybe they have another engine up their sleeve for the 550 replacement? They need a smaller option for those that do not want a big bore.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Probably because the price of a value line model is pretty hard to beat. if they did away with the xp, my next machine wouldn't be a Polaris.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Probably because the price of a value line model is pretty hard to beat. if they did away with the xp, my next machine wouldn't be a Polaris.
I said the same thing about the Value line, that goes, i am buying elsewhere!!.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They could do with revampig both lines imo.

The 400 is a great entry machine
The 570 is definately a step up fromthe 500
The 800? Meh kinda underpowered for its cc. And its so close in price to a non eps 850 i don't know how they sell any.

The 550 is ok. But now kind of outdone by the 570. Maybe change it to a 600 twin with 50-60 hp to compete with the canned ham 650.

The 850 is a stout motor. But i could see them beefing up to at least a 900 to keep up with the hp battles.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Polaris is making bank selling the mvp850 to both the U.S. and German military. Like I said before.the military needs a X number of machines in the civilian hands for parts... the XP line is going no where soon.

12 850EPS Short bus edition

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I can't see the XP going anywhere. Having a value line and premium line is smart, and I think they need a small more and a big bore in both.

It's hard to tell market share from a single dealer because of geographic location. Some places are very touristy/recreational riding, others are very agriculture or work related and so those locations will buy very different machines.

I think they will likely want to separate the 550 and the 570 more. I like the step up from the 500 to the 570, now the 550 needs something more to retain is premium small bore feel.

I can't see the axe being dropped, but I can see the XP's going back to the drawing board. They need to anyway, there hasn't been a major update on them since they dropped back in '09

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I can't see the XP going anywhere. Having a value line and premium line is smart, and I think they need a small more and a big bore in both.

It's hard to tell market share from a single dealer because of geographic location. Some places are very touristy/recreational riding, others are very agriculture or work related and so those locations will buy very different machines.

I think they will likely want to separate the 550 and the 570 more. I like the step up from the 500 to the 570, now the 550 needs something more to retain is premium small bore feel.

I can't see the axe being dropped, but I can see the XP's going back to the drawing board. They need to anyway, there hasn't been a major update on them since they dropped back in '09
And with the new G2 chassis from Can Am, Polaris should step it up on the XP line.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I would hardly call the cracking g2 frame a step up!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
by the looks of that new g2 frame, it may be the same one they used on there dirt bikes back in the day....

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,551 Posts
xp's are here for ever! the 550 is either going to a two cylinder 650 or staying a single and going 600cc. i gamble the former. 850 is not going to change. i would guess with less then a 25% probability that a bigger displacement engine enters the xp line up in the near future. only thing that will happen to the 800 is an le model with eps. now this is going out on a limb but majority feelings are the 500 goes bye bye. definetly can see the 400 getting eps le model also and thats cause of the overwhelming success of eps.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts