Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just picked up his 550 x2 yesterday and i need to know if the oil they put in it have a brake in modifier like the dealer said. Dose it come with synthetic from the factory? The brake in proceed in the manual is not right like all manufacturers do. On my motorcycles I use partial throttle and let the motor slow the bike down. This is so the rings seat. I do this for 20 miles then change the oil and filter. then ride it some what hard changing oil and filter at 100 miles, 500 then 1000miles. I dont use synthetic till 1500 miles. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm What dyno oil should i use. theres no rating on the bottel?
thanks

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
no, 2.5 years working at a polaris dealers and i have neither seen nor heard of a break in modifier in the oil when they leave the factory, so as far as i am concerned that is a load of BS. they dont even sell to dealers a "brake in" oil. although i have heard this before. there is nothing special or fancy to breaking these things in. just go ride....you do need higher RPMs to help seat the rings, i agree there. do an oil change after the first 25 hours with a 0w-40 full syn oil. after the first change you can go from 50-100 hrs between change

·
Registered
603 Posts
For my xp 850, dealer told me to take it easy for first 2 tanks of gas, then ride normal. I changed my oil after first 10hrs, then took it in for first service where they changed all fluids and filter and greased etc after 25hrs. The polaris synthetic oil they recommend is called ps4 and its a 2W50 or so I've been told.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts