Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Sportsman 400 is a great machine. It has less than 200 miles on it.I recently rode another ATV that had an engine braking system that impressed me.What I am looking for is, why does Polaris 400 sportsman not have so sort of engine brake?Is this to cut costs?
Would a clutch kit add any benefit to braking? I ride on the trails and occasionally a hill or two.
Do not get me wrong, I really enjoy the machine "my first" If has all the performance that is required buy me.The only engine brake on my machine appears as when you add throttle going down hill.Any thoughts? Ken

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I priced it for a 500, $684 dollars. Not getting it anytime soon!!

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine being a few years older than yours. One of the best things I added was EBS. Found a great deal on ebay a few years ago. I hunt in Georgia and do all the bush-hogging with the 4wheeler. When I added it I lost a little power, remember that I only have a 425cc engine:veryhappy: I added a QSC clutch kit before I put the pit-bulls on this year. Their kit made a difference. That has been the best thing I have added. Simple answer...yes I like the EBS, it works great for what I use my machine for.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Will, found mine from a dealer in Colorado on ebay. It was for a 500 also. Best I remember I paid less than $400 with shipping. That was about 6 or 7 years ago...lol My dealer was wanting around $800 installed with my stock 400 clutches exchanged at the time. Took about 3 months looking on ebay every other day to find the kit. As long as you don't need it quick ebay has been good deals for me.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Will, found mine from a dealer in Colorado on ebay. It was for a 500 also. Best I remember I paid less than $400 with shipping. That was about 6 or 7 years ago...lol My dealer was wanting around $800 installed with my stock 400 clutches exchanged at the time. Took about 3 months looking on ebay every other day to find the kit. As long as you don't need it quick ebay has been good deals for me.
Thank you. I am on no tush, don't mind waiting for a good deal. Need tires first, still want EBS though.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
My 2013 Sportsman 400 is a great machine. It has less than 200 miles on it.I recently rode another ATV that had an engine braking system that impressed me.What I am looking for is, why does Polaris 400 sportsman not have so sort of engine brake?Is this to cut costs?
Would a clutch kit add any benefit to braking? I ride on the trails and occasionally a hill or two.
Do not get me wrong, I really enjoy the machine "my first" If has all the performance that is required buy me.The only engine brake on my machine appears as when you add throttle going down hill.Any thoughts? Ken
The EBS is great, and you have to add a little throttle going down steep slippery hills to keep it from locking the rear wheels causing the atv to slide. It takes a little getting used to but after you get the hang of it you will like it. Rarely do I ever have to use my brakes at all. Funny, on ur machine you add throttle for engine braking and I add throttle to eliminate some of the engine braking

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The EBS is great, and you have to add a little throttle going down steep slippery hills to keep it from locking the rear wheels causing the atv to slide. It takes a little getting used to but after you get the hang of it you will like it. Rarely do I ever have to use my brakes at all. Funny, on ur machine you add throttle for engine braking and I add throttle to eliminate some of the engine braking
You can always try wedging.. I do this on my 700 at times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As I see it you have two options, one you can get a kit, or two you can get a secondary clutch from a machine that has EBS, and put the spring, etc. from your old clutch into it. I'm not sure if you would need a primary from a machine with EBS as well because I don't know if non-ebs atv's have a one way bearing on the primary. The two things that determine if a machine has EBS is the Helix in the secondary clutch, and if the primary has a one way bearing.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
You need the primary, secondary, and belt, as it is different on EBS. Or you can use the poor mans version, just butter the throttle for a second, this will load the clutches up, very similar.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Sorry.. I forgot.. you at least need EBS for wedging

·
Registered
526 Posts
You need the primary, secondary, and belt, as it is different on EBS. Or you can use the poor mans version, just butter the throttle for a second, this will load the clutches up, very similar.
This is what we do with our standard Magnum 325 for braking down hill but we do not tow a trailer, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts