Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to resolve my overheating and coolant over flow issue. I have tested several things and even though Im not seeing wet on the plug or coolant coming out of the exhaust I still think I may still have a gasket leak. But dont want to rip it completely apart to check for it. LOL

I have a friend who is gonna let me borrow a compression gauge/tool to check my cylinder pressure.
I just dont know what a good number will be.
I assume I will need to know what numbers are good at different levels of throttle. Idle, etc...
Thanks

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
You don't check compression with the engine running. The spark plug comes out and the end of the tester goes into the spark plug hole. Then you turn it over and watch the gauge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you.
My friend explained this too.
But he wasnt sure what reading would be normal compression for my 500.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
you probably wont find a bad head gasket with a compression test, need to do a leak down test ,if its building pressure in the cooling system its about gotta be a head gasket

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Could possibly be a base gasket also!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dont tell me that!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
9,846 Posts
It'll be the head gasket. The real question is if there has been enough leakage of coolant back into the cylinder while it was sitting around to have done any damage to the cylinder walls. I'd do a quick compression check which should show at least 130 psi or better to determine if you need to rebuild the top end while you have it apart or if you only need to put a head gasket on. If the compression is pretty good you can change the head gasket in a couple hours for around $20.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts