Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed that the reservoir in my 05 Sportsman 800 is empty. This can't be good is it?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Just fill it to the cold line when the machine is fully cooled down. Also pop your radiator cap off, and fill it full if it isnt. As long as your machine hasnt overheated on you, you are fine and havent caused any damage with the bottle empty.

Keep your eye on the bottle. It should always be about the cold line when the machine is cold, and should be full when the machine is at running temperature.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Might want to take a look at the weep hole on the water pump, and also check your oil for that milky color. Just in case you've got a leak somewhere.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might want to take a look at the weep hole on the water pump, and also check your oil for that milky color. Just in case you've got a leak somewhere.
Just got back from the garage. Oil looks good. Opened the radiator cap, there is coolant in there....seems to be full. Tomorrow I will get some coolant and add it to the reservoir bottle. What kind of coolant is it or do I have to get the stuff from the stealership?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Any ethylene glycol based coolant mixed at 50/50 or 60/40 coolant-water will work just fine for you. You probably have some laying around your garage for your cars.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any ethylene glycol based coolant mixed at 50/50 or 60/40 coolant-water will work just fine for you. You probably have some laying around your garage for your cars.
Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?

·
Registered
497 Posts
KevGuy;73272 Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?[/QUOTE said:
Cant understand why you would think that? Maybe youll find it on the shelf next to the 2W-50 oil.:)

Seriously I hope it doesnt take special coolant I have just used regular old green prestone.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Are you sure that's all it is? Polaris doesn't use anything special for coolant?
Positive. It is the most convential coolant around. If its green, likey it is okay to use. The bottle should say what it is based of off. As long as it says ethylene glycol based, your good to go with whatever brand.

I am 100% about this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Positive. It is the most convential coolant around. If its green, likey it is okay to use. The bottle should say what it is based of off. As long as it says ethylene glycol based, your good to go with whatever brand.

I am 100% about this.
thanks all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yea I'm not so sure you can just use "whatever". I have a 2004 polaris 600 sportsman and my coolant us blue not green.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yea I'm not so sure you can just use "whatever". I have a 2004 polaris 600 sportsman and my coolant us blue not green.
Yours doesn't "use blue". You fill yours with blue by choice. You can use whatever coolant is safe for aluminum. Any of the main stream universal coolants are recommended. Color doesn't matter although it's nice to see a nice clear green when I look in my radiator.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I use Honda Type 2 coolant which is premixed 50/50 with deionized distilled water and is blue - Honda Type 1 is green and what I like about Honda coolant is Type 1 and 2 are completely compatible - they can be mixed without concern and they're the same price - only difference is color. That is not true for all other coolants.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use Honda Type 2 coolant which is premixed 50/50 with deionized distilled water and is blue - Honda Type 1 is green and what I like about Honda coolant is Type 1 and 2 are completely compatible - they can be mixed without concern and they're the same price - only difference is color. That is not true for all other coolants.
I'm guessing you use Honda coolant because it's readily available at your shop. Any opinions on running regular car coolant like Prestone etc.? Major price difference for the rest of us.

·
Premium Member
8,059 Posts
I use Prestone. It's totally compatible with Polaris's cooling systems.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I'm guessing you use Honda coolant because it's readily available at your shop. Any opinions on running regular car coolant like Prestone etc.? Major price difference for the rest of us.
I prefer the Motorsports coolants over Prestone, Zerex and other automotive coolants as most automotive coolants contain silicates (abrasives) and Motorsports coolants are low or no silicate formulations. Water pump seals will last longer using the silicate free formulas. You might get Prestone and other coolants in low or no silicate formulations if you search for them. By using the Motorsports coolants, I save time by not trying to find the silicate free automotive coolants. I just grab a bottle of Motorsports coolant and know it is what I want.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I use Prestone in everything, ATVs snomobiles, motocross bikes, sportbikes, domestic/japanese/german cars, diesel trucks, etc. I've never seen or heard of any failures or accelerated wear due to using "cheap" or "regular" coolant. In fact the "best coolant" you can buy is actually just plain, clean distilled water as it has the best thermal properties. Although that's not advisable for extended periods of time as you do want the corrosion resistance, freeze protection, higher boiling point and lubricity provided by the ethylene glycol.

So in conclusion I run a 50/50 mix prestone and distilled water and have never had an issue. I think any brand coolant will work but I like the color of prestone and its widely available.

It is advisable to make sure that whatever coolant is in the system is compatible with what you add to it as some formulations can react badly together causing gelling or possibly other side effects. It would be my advise to drain the old coolant and re fill with standard coolant if it is an odd color. It's probably due for a change anyway.

Checking for leaks is good advice. At the water pump weap hole, radiator hoses, radiator, thermostat etc.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Yep - you are right - you can run any coolant you want to including plain water. So, to answer the question of what coolant is best: alcohol is best!

Ethylene glycol is ethanol alcohol mixed with glycerine (Ethanol glycerine alcohol) - glycerine is derived from animal fat, it is a lubricant, ethanol (ethyl alcohol) has a much lower surface tension than water and technically gets "closer" to the surface of whatever it comes in contact with therefore it transfers heat better than plain water, but it also has a lower boiling point and zero lubricity. It's one of the reasons medical technicians use alcohol swabs before piercing you with a needle. The alcohol is toxic to water borne bacteria and it removes oil secreted by the skin from the area to be punctured. Body oil is dirty, it collects dust, dead skin cells and bacteria.

Alcohol mixed with water in a closed system has a lower boiling point than water (212 degrees F), but a higher boiling point than alcohol (173 degrees F) - a 50/50 mix of alcohol and water boils at approximately 193 degrees F. The boiling point can be raised by pressurizing the closed system. However, the boiling point of glycerine is about 554 degrees F. Mixed 50/50 with water, glycerine boils at about 223 degrees F which coincidentally is the boiling point of most commercial antifreeze when mixed 50/50 with water.

So most common, commercially available ethylene glycol antifreeze is for over simplification, 50% ethanol mixed 50% with glycerine then mixed 50% with water prior to use. Commercial antifreeze has other ingredients in varying concentrations usually specified by the Original Equipment Manufacturer. If there is no difference in coolants mix Dexcool 50/50 with Prestone and see what the result is after a year of use in a cooling system.

I am a picky bastard and one of the questions I have when buying a used vehicle is what kind of coolant it has in it and when it was last changed. Long life coolant needs to be changed every 5 years and standard coolant every 2 or 3 years. The coolant is changed in my toys every year due to routine maintenance procedures. In my car and trucks, I have to remind myself when to change the coolant, so I do it every leap year.

You do it your way and I'll do it my way - I just won't buy a used vehicle from you and if you buy one from me, you pay a premium for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If there is no difference in coolants mix Dexcool 50/50 with Prestone and see what the result is after a year of use in a cooling system.
You were doing so well up until here... I know with your knowledge that you know Dexcool is an anomaly. Either way, I'm still in the Prestone style antifreeze group. I've never heard of or witnessed accelerated wear from using it.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
HawkX66 - sometimes I just like being an A-hole.

I use Prestone and/or Zerex in my car and truck, but I use powersports coolants in my recreational vehicles. I have seen seal damage from the coolant in motorcycles and ATV's, but only in engines that are neglected and do not get scheduled coolant changes. If you change your coolant at least every 5 years you may never see silicate damage, and while Polaris used to recommend the coolant be changed every 3 years (using the 60/40 formula) I see that the new 50/50 coolant (2880514) is billed as extended life and the coolant change is now recommended every 5 years.

As the coolant ages, the silicate particles in the automotive coolants can bond with other particles and become highly abrasive. The water pump seals in automotive applications are designed differently than the seals in powersports engines and the abrasives do not affect the seals as dramatically. I just avoid the silicate issue and use low or no silicate formula coolants in my toys. Without having to read the labels and scour the shelves then measure the quantity of water to coolant, I just use the premixed powersports coolants, close the system and enjoy my precious 'FREE' time.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Latebird, I never knew or thought of alcahol as a coolant but your explanation makes perfect sense. Very interesting, thanks for sharing!

Yes, Dexcool is one of the formulations I mentioned that don't mix well with others. That's why I reccomended draining the old coolant if you dont know what kind it is. I change my coolant every 2-3 years for the reasons you stated.

About boiling point, I wanted to double clarify, that a 50/50 mix boils at 223* but it is almost always under pressure raising the boiling point. Normally about 15psi. So you dont need to worry about boil over till much higher. Granted there are some fragile engines that really don't like being over heated, so I'm not saying dont worry when your engine is suddenly 230* when it normally runs 200* different engines run different temperatures. But the actual 50/50 coolant should be fine.

I totally understand buying pre mixed coolant for the convenience. Makes sence in alot of cases.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts