Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I know this question has probably been answered 1000 times, but I have had some bad trouble with my machine lately. I have a 2008 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, and it has about 1200 miles on it. The last few times I went to take it out, it would idle fine, but when you hit the throttle, the games began. While under power, the machine's "check engine" light comes on, and you loose power completely. Most of the time, the engine backfires, while you are rolling to a stop as well. In a 3 mile stretch today, it stalled about 15-20 times. I also noticed a smell that you don't usually smell, almost a burning note to it. I do not know if that is related, but whatever. Any help is greatly appreciated. (Please note... I just put a new battery in the machine as well, event though that probably has nothing to do with it.)

·
Registered
425 Posts
Check the freeplay on the throttle. Should only be 1/8 to 1/16" of play. The adjustment is just down the handlebars from the throttle in the black condom. Hope thats it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. I am gonna go check it out

·
Registered
21 Posts
The battery could do it. When it does not have a full charge on it she will back fire and stahl. If you have no problem starting it back up and idleing could be ok but just because its new dont mean its good. Check that out also. May not be taking or holding charge. Most auto stores will check it out for free. Had a Harley that did that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
battery is nice and strong, had it tested this morning. Thanks for the suggestion though!

·
Registered
68 Posts
battery is nice and strong, had it tested this morning. Thanks for the suggestion though!
i have the same problem on my 850. i dont really loose power on the throttle,but rather after i nail it, it stalls. i was told that the exhaust is the reason because i put an aftermarket on,but i put original back on and still continues. battery good,throttle checked as well. if i get down to what helps me ,i will let you know.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the same problem on my 850. i dont really loose power on the throttle,but rather after i nail it, it stalls. i was told that the exhaust is the reason because i put an aftermarket on,but i put original back on and still continues. battery good,throttle checked as well. if i get down to what helps me ,i will let you know.
I think I am goning to try to bring it in for service, and see if they might know. I will let you know if I get any answers. Thanks!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is there a code that comes up with the check engine light? If so check the manual for a chart that will tell you what the means. I'm having a similar problem on my 2011 850xp said its the throttle sticking that's why mine cuts out. Put new one in did same thing, old one back in throttle body cleaned and TPS sensor adjusted. Still does it the odd time might need to replace TPS sensor but going to do one more ride first to see if it corrects itself.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a code that comes up with the check engine light? If so check the manual for a chart that will tell you what the means. I'm having a similar problem on my 2011 850xp said its the throttle sticking that's why mine cuts out. Put new one in did same thing, old one back in throttle body cleaned and TPS sensor adjusted. Still does it the odd time might need to replace TPS sensor but going to do one more ride first to see if it corrects itself.
unfortunately, no error codes come up, only the check engine light

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oh, probably have to hook it up to the digital wrench.
Good luck!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I brought it in for a full service to North American Warhorse in Dunmore, Pennsylvania. They had to do something with the TPS sensor, and there was a loose connection on the ignition relay. I rode it all day after that, and I ran into no problems, and it was running like it was new again. Hope this helps some people!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sure its not getting to hot? WHen it does, the ECU shuts the engine down. Might account for the smell.

Check coolant (how old is it?), radiator etc.

There has to be code(s). If you get a check engine-you get a code or more. Try that again.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Glad you got it working again. Its tough not to be riding!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts