Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i took my 1995 magnum 425 4X4 out for a ride today after putting the new kenda bear claws on, it was about 7 degrees out. When i pulled into the shop i noticed oil leaking from the engine :shocked1:, so parked and took a better look at it. It appeared to be coming from the head gasket which i replaced this summer.

The weird thing was when i went to go check on the oil to see how much i lost when i started to unscrew the oil cap air started hissing out, there was a LOT of pressure on it!!! After letting it hiss for about 30 seconds i unscrewed it the rest of the way and pulled out the oil cap out and the oil was bubbling (it didnt look like i lost very much). I am due for an oil change which i was planning to do, but now before i ever drive it again i will DEFINITIVELY do. I almost wonder is somehow water got in the oil and started to boil as the engine got hot?? I wash off my machine when it gets all muddy so maybe when i washed it off last somehow water got in the oil tank, last time i washed it was a few weeks ago and i hadn't drove it a lot since. I had drove around for about 20 minutes today, in the 20-30 mph range.

I did pull the head gasket and it didn't seem that bad, but i am going to replace it anyway while i have it off.

Has anyone heard of this oil pressure problem? is there anything else that could cause this??:hmmm:

·
Registered
163 Posts
sounds like the oil tank vent is plugged. I've seen humidity from the oil evaporate, then to freeze in the tube and plug it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuzzyfireman, i appreciate you responding, where is this vent located? im guessing near the top of the oil tank somewhere...

Attached are some pics i took today, i think its pretty clear it was leaking from the head gasket... The one i pulled off the more i look at it doesn't look that bad, maybe ill just reuse it, i think it was just the weakest point with all the pressure since i just replaced it this past summer.

As you can also see in the pics, my chain is loose, how do i tighten it? i know there is the thing similar to the one on the rear axle in the front by the front right tire to tighten the chain by being turned, but does anyone know of the top of their head which way i should turn it to tighten the chain?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I agree with fuzzy, it sounds like the vent is blocked by something. As for the oil bubbling, could be water, but may also have been air that got whipped into the oil from the piston(s) and with you finally releasing the pressure, the air is coming out of suspension. If it is water, once the oil cools down, it'll turn milky brown kinda like a peanut butter color. If it doesn't do that, then I don't think its water that you see bubbling.

Do you keep it outside? If so how cold is the area you live? Ice could be plugging something if you washed it. Also (don't have a service manual right this second) but does it have an external oil reservoir? If it does, how's the oil level?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel man 03, Yes it was leaking from the valve seal/head gasket, whatever its called. After taking off the valve seal/head gasket to inspect it it seems to be in good condition (i replaced it this past summer) i think it was just the weakest point in the engine with all that pressure on it. I put it back on and it didn't leak, i let the engine run at high idle (half choke) for a good minute or so and no leaking so the pressure must have been what caused it to leak.

Amdforever,"Do you keep it outside? If so how cold is the area you live? Ice could be plugging something if you washed it. Also (don't have a service manual right this second) but does it have an external oil reservoir? If it does, how's the oil level?"

I keep it in my shop which is not heated. I live in Wisconsin, its winter here right now, low tonight is 8 degrees Fahrenheit high tomorrow is suppose to be 15 degrees, so its COLD here right now. I was thinking the same thing, maybe somehow ice got in the vent tube. Yes, this has an external oil reservoir, to be honest i didn't check the exact level yesterday, but it looked pretty full.

To solve this vent problem i followed the vent tube and it goes into the air box. I plan on changing the engine oil and filter tomorrow before i drain the old oil after its warmed up, i'm going to try to blow some pressurized air in the tube from the air box and see if it clears up. Visually there didn't seem to be any ice in it (it's a clear tube) and there weren't any kinks, but i'm obviously missing something because its not working properly.

Thanks for all the help so far guys, i had no idea there was a tube that vents the oil tank.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it turns out that there was a bit of ice in the tube, right where it comes out of the oil tank. Thanks for all the help guys, problem solved! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Similar problem here in my 2000 Magnum 500 EB, but my leak is coming from the base head gasket, at the corner behind the oil filter. Strange place to spring a leak. But it is bubbling out when it runs. Praying to avoid replacing the base head gasket. Summertime here, so no ice. Anything else I can check that might be causing it to pressurize?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts