Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2009 Sportsman XP 850 and found out that the oil plug drain hole is chipped and stripped. I am thinking of getting a helicoil insert welded in and am wondering what type of metal the engine is made of. Is it aluminum or some type of white metal?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would not do welD on it the oil pan is the main caps awesome find a drain plug a little bigger and tap the hole to that size

·
Premium Member
11,510 Posts
Yeah drill n tap for a bigger plug.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A third of the hole is completely chipped off so tapping a bigger hole is not possible. The guy who had it before me had jb weld completely over the drain hole but I want a fix where I would be able to change the oil.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
this is the two things I do know if you weld on it you will distort the block and you cannot change just the oil pan for the oil pan is the lower half of the block this may work for you iT's not the best but fill the hole up and use a pump to change the oil like I said its not the best Fix but it will save the motor

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am with jc on this one welding the pan may change the state of the bearing caps thus causing premature bearing wear. There are a lot if good epoxies out there that may work. I would heli coil it and epoxy the surface then machine it flat.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Can you take some pics so we can see how bad it is

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
the diffucult part is the location of the plug...to do what ever you do to fix it..the motor may have to be removed or the machine flipped on its side....its kinda of tuff working from the bottom on the ground....or if you had a lift that would work...I would use a 1 piece insert not a coil type..its threaded inside and outside..and has a flat rim on top...epoxy it in and fill chipped area....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts