Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a problem with it missing at idle and was recommended to change the Champion plug it with a NGK Irridium. I did that and all seemed well. Last. Couple of days it's popping and missing bad when I'm just putting around. When I open it up to half throttle or more it goes away, but as soon as I slow down its does it again. If it had a carb I'd say it has trash in it but with efi I have no clue. I run 93 non-ethanol in everything with no problems. Should I go back to the Champion or maybe a plain NGK? I've got to have it for the next six weeks so I can't take it in until after the crappie are done spawning. It only has 7 hours on it.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
If you do a lot of start, short run, shut down runs with it you can still foul an iridium plug. Most Polaris EFI systems are very rich at cold start. Can take as long as 10 min for the engine to reach operating temp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you do a lot of start, short run, shut down runs with it you can still foul an iridium plug. Most Polaris EFI systems are very rich at cold start. Can take as long as 10 min for the engine to reach operating temp.
I start mine and let it idle in neutral for 5 minutes before moving. In the winter should I be letting it warm up longer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Im curious of the outcomes. Please keep us posted. I would of guessed ethanol problems but if u are using 93 oct with out ethanol in it and changed spark plug. I would try a fuel treatment before I did the dealer. I like to do a small dose of lucas fuel treatment.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure if anybody read through the whole polaris manual like i did (for the 570) and it says not to use Nothing above regular grade gas. Does it really matter? i been putting 87 in it

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
This is correct. If you did do alot of cold starts and quick shut downs I would try another new plug first.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesn't say that. It say "Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87 octane" I take that as 87 is the lowest you can use.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Doesn't say that. It say "Use either leaded or unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump octane number of 87 octane" I take that as 87 is the lowest you can use.
Tcounty. right. my skimming through the owners manual made me read it wrong Obviously. thanks for lettin me know though.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The higher the octane the higher the compression required to ignite the fuel so 93 is not better than 87 in a standard compression engine like your ATV. I would run 87 octane, let it idle for a minimum of 5 minutes and then drive it in low and slow for 5 minutes to warm up the engine further and that also warms up the belt.

I would run a good dose (6 oz) of Seafoam or Lucas with a fresh tank of gas through it just to make sure you don't have any water in the system or a plugged injector. I would also pull the plugs and make sure they are not partially fouled. Should be a nice light brown if its running at the correct mixture and firing well. Also, make sure you plug boots are dry and use some dielectric grease in the boots and on electrical connections.

At idle you don't have as strong as spark as you do at driving RPM so it could run better at a higher RPM then foul out at idle due to weaker spark. I just use the standard NGK and don't have any issues. Occasionally it might run a little rough (once or twice in the last 50 hours) but I attribute that to the times I get on it too quick before its warmed up properly or a little moisture in the system. Seafoam and continued operation seems to clear it up pretty quick.

I got a connector wet during a Windrock trip last year and she ran like crap for the rest of the day but once she dried out it was fine. Using dielectric grease on all connection including the plug boots should be an annual maintenance item. This is expecially true if you get like to ride water or mud.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Higher octane doesn't require higher compression to ignite. Octane simply makes it harder for the gas to ignite FROM higher compression. So in essence, a motor designed for 87 octane, you can run higher than that if you want, but you may actually make slightly less power, because Octane slows do ignition.

For max power, you should always run the lowest octane fuel that doesn't cause "pinging"... If the manual says 87, use 87. If you had an R6 with a 14.0:1 or whatever compression ratio, then you would NEED higher octane to keep the fuel from igniting prematurely and damaging the motor...

Because of how gas is marketted, people think that higher octane means more power. It often means less actually, but higher compression motors need it, and so you should in those types of motors...

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

We got about 3" of ice last night and just had to go play. Ran it hard for about 2 hours and never missed a beat. Ran a bit rough at first but cleared up and ran fine from there on.

As far as the octane goes, I run 93 non ethanol in my motorcycle ,mower,old Honda Big Red, outboards ,ect. Any small engine I have and never had any problems. I think the efi is just set rich from the factory. Not much I can do about it till warranty is out I guess. I will try a 1/2 of a tank of 87 non ethanol just to see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tcounty, where you at in TN…I'm in Lexington, about 30 minutes East of Jackson? We didn't get 3", but the roads were slick as heck. Maybe 1/4" of ice and another 1/2" of snow.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tipton county near Covington. Got about an inch of freezing rain with 2" sleet

·
Registered
108 Posts
try your 87 oct out yet?

·
Registered
483 Posts
try your 87 oct out yet?
Not yet. Still have about a 1/4 tank of 93 still in it. Guess I could drain it.
Don't drain it, just fill it with 87 and run it. High octane won't hurt it, it just isn't necessary and your motor might be slightly happier with the lower octane, due to the compression, ignition timing, etc... The higher the octane, the slower the burn rate.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I always thought the higher the octane the hotter the burn. Cleaner burn

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
All the octane does is prevent pre ignition from compression in higher compression motors....it sorta slows the ignition rate a bit..so wont knock....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts