Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Whatever your little heart desires - 5w30, 5w40, 5w50, 10w40, 15w50, 20w50, synthetic, mineral, vegetable, semi-synthetic..........

They all lubricate equally well

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use synthetic in every engine I own. Even the Honda 1000 and lawnmower. Stay as close to the numbers that the manufacturer states. My first choice is Moble one or Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. But I sometimes wonder about Wal-Mart own oil and now Costco has come out with there own oil for 12.50 in a 5-quart bottle. The most important thing is you change the oil at least once a year. I never go over 2000 miles between change, and prefer more like 1000. Keep in mind that dust in the air is our worst enemy.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I run Silkolene 15w50 synthetic in my race bike, but I run any brand of JASO rated 10w40 in my other motors except my old Triumph 650 Bonnevilles - in those I run 20w50 rated API SH or lower - a diesel CF grade oil does the job. In my car and truck I run the cheapest 5w30 oil the Qiuk Lube has. I have a 97 Ford F150 with 200K, an 04 Mercury Grand Marqius with 40K and a 99 Dodge Dakota RT with 105K.

The only reason I run synthetic in the race bike is habit. When I was racing an air cooled 97 Honda XR250R I used Castrol 20w50 GTX until I found that I was pushing the oil temp over 300 degrees F. Since mineral oil starts to break down at about 300 degrees I switched to synthetic because it will withstand temps to about 350*. I was changing my oil after every race, so I would have probably been fine with the mineral oil, but I m,ade the switch at the urging of Silkolene who offered me a limited sponsorship. I was getting the synthetic for less than the mineral Castrol. The liquid cooled CRF never gets over 200* and now I change the oil every third race.

I may not know a lot about oil, but I know that Polaris, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, Ford, General Motors and John Deere do not manufacture oil. They all buy oil from an oil manufacturer. They may specify the formulation, but I find it interesting that the vehicle manufacturers all specify their own brand of oil and oil retailers will have on their label that their oil meets or exceeds the (or all) vehicle manufacturer's recommendation. Me thinks it's because the manufacturer buys the cheapest oil they can put in their engines to get them to or past end warranty and then the failures are to be expected and acceptable. Can you say Planned Obsolescence?

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
I use Polaris oils exclusively. so I just buy the kit and am done with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts